Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager
Jobs at:Gardens for Health International
Deadline of this Job:
02 May 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, April 23, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
About Gardens for Health International:
To tackle the root causes of malnutrition, we equip families with seeds, skills, and knowledge to create vegetable gardens, prepare balanced meals, and keep children healthy. For over a decade, Gardens for Health International has been working hand-in-hand with local communities to end chronic malnutrition. Our innovative curriculum on agriculture, nutrition and health topics was designed in partnership with local mothers, our trainings are led by talented educators who come directly from the communities they serve, and our dedicated staff is over 90% Rwandan.
We believe in changing systems, not treating symptoms. Integrating agriculture and nutrition into the health system is the only sustainable solution to effectively treat and prevent malnutrition. We work in close partnership with the Government of Rwanda by teaming up with community health workers, delivering trainings at local health clinics, and advising policy.
• The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager will oversee the Monitoring and Evaluation Department’s work.
• She/he will also support the deliberate focus on strong data-driven decision making at Gardens for Health. The MEL Manager will support M&E team operations, build the technical capacity of the M&E team, and ensure that data is utilized to both support and improve program activities.
• The position is based in Ndera, Rwanda with travel to Gardens for Health’s operations districts, Gasabo, Musanze, Burera, Karongi, Rutsiro, Nyamagabe, Nyaruguru and Kayonza. .
GHI seeks to hire qualified, committed and experienced National to fill the following position:
Position: MEL Manager
Place of Work: Kigali with travel to the field as required
Reports to: Executive Director
Time frame: Open Ended
Tentative start date: 1st of June 2021
Key Areas Of Accountability:
• Facilitate the timely completion of team deliverables (i.e. reports) by leading planning and drafting timelines.
• Support program activities by assisting with data-driven decisions.
• Lead the regular analysis of data and generation of reports on programmatic impact
• Oversee the management of CommCare mobile data collection system.
• Increase operational efficiency of data collection and data quality, including expanding the use of and increasing the capacity of the CommCare mobile data collection system.
• Communicate results to other teams and participate in strategic thinking around program successes, failures and opportunities
• Design and lead a mechanism of learning and using data to support program improvement and changes
• Lead the M&E framework development & execution for solicited grants
• Communicate impact of program to external partners (e.g. donors, partner health centers, and government officials) through the development of reports and web content
• Design and lead qualitative research initiatives to learn from and improve GHI programming; develop staff capacity around qualitative research as needed.
• Develop, strengthen, and utilize M&E planning tools including theories of change, monitoring plans, and indicator guides.
• Respond to other ad hoc requests for data from senior leadership, donors, and other parties.
• Supports the Program management team in developing/managing/leading any internal or external evaluations of the effectiveness of GHI’s programs and in identifying and leading research opportunities, including publishing papers on GHI’s work.
• Develop and update knowledge management products, including team manual, guides for routine data management, analysis, and reporting processes
Broader role at GHI
• Contribute to Organization’s Theory of change review and implementation
• Support the positioning of the organization’s M&E Framework to be adaptive, relevant and driver for program growth and change
• University degree (Master’s degree is an added value) in Statistics, Public health, Demography, Social Sciences, or related field.
• 3-5+ years of experience working in evaluation and research in NGO or research setting;
• Relevant experience working in planning, monitoring, evaluation and accountability in development or humanitarian interventions.
• Proven experience using one or more of these statistical software: SPSS, Stata, or R
• Advanced knowledge and experience with data visualization tools with preference given to Tableau or similar tools.
• Experience in data management, use of data management electronic devices such as Tablets or Personal Data Assistants (PDAs)
• Experience with comcare is highly desirable
• Ability to formulate Information Management-related technical requirements and Operating Procedures into simple language to communicate to others.
• Proven experience in a technical capacity involving conducting evaluations/research;
• Proven experience with quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis;
• Ability to support or lead under guidance and drive the organization towards more action-research by using participation and listening to beneficiaries as one of the main mechanisms for programme implementation;
• Strong capacity and creativity in leading and facilitating participatory methodologies to meaningfully engage beneficiaries and receiving their feedback.
• Strong leadership and teamwork skills.
• Fluency in spoken and written English and Kinyarwanda.
• Passion for Gardens for Health’s vision and values, with a commitment to serving the organization mission
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should send an application letter plus updated Curriculum Vitae in English, including 3 names of professional referees to [email protected] .The deadline for receiving applications is 2nd May 2021. Please mention MEL Manager as subject of your mail.
*Note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.