Human Resources and Procurement Officer
Job Category: Operations
Requisition Number: HRAND01610
Posted: December 16, 2020
Showing 1 locationKigali, RWA
Reports to: Country Programs Manager with Dotted line to the HRBP, EA
TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. By linking people to information, capital, and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities.
Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe has been named the #1 nonprofit for fighting poverty by the Impact Matters charity rating agency.
The Human Resources and Procurement Officer is responsible for the strategic and day-to-day management of the human resource function and will manage TechnoServe/Rwanda’s Human Resource and procurement department by ensuring the organizational and donor policies & procedures are followed. This position works closely with other departments to facilitate participative approaches to the management of human resources and in the provision of administrative and procurement support.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Strategic human resource planning taking into consideration TechnoServe’s current and expected growth trajectory and aligning these to a clear staffing plan. Align with key project deliverables for every program.
- Lead Annual Performance Appraisal cycle & file final evaluations; ensuring that planned performance feedback is undertaken and observed for all staff.
- Deliver HR training, source & support where needed; People development-identifying in a structured way staff training needs and developing clear plans to plug the gaps.
- Headcount management (Joiners & Leavers) and update & maintain company org charts & share with program managers. Manage staff exits and other exit payment dues.
- Develop a talent management plan (Staff development & succession plans); Manage Talent acquisition to include job description development, advertising and leading targeted searches, short listing and interviewing, carrying out reference checks, and preparing offer letters. Develop and maintain a current database of potential candidates.
- Support the Country Director in managing compensation in Rwanda by conducting annual salary surveys and leading developing, annual review and maintaining a Rwanda Compensation Structure following guidance from TechnoServe global HR function.
- Prepare all payroll changes such as new employees, terminated employees, promotion, transfer, and bank changes, sending to Financial Controller for payroll preparation, liaise with Finance on review of monthly payroll and approval. Also process and approve salary advances and staff loans in liaison with the Country Director.
- Documenting, interpreting, and communicating HR policies and procedures to staff and at all times ensure that TechnoServe Rwanda’s employee handbook and practices are compliant with all Rwanda labor laws and HR best practices.
- Manage and administer local benefits programs e.g. medical cover, insurance, social security fund, etc. Act as the liaison between local employees and corporate benefits manager.
- Arrange for resident/work permit for expatriates or third-country nationals and INGO permit renewal.
- Manage staff working as administrative assistant and janitor. This will include performance management, assignment of tasks, managing workflow, and other supervisory tasks.
- Conduct annual vendor pre-qualification for key products/services including office supplies, fuel, vehicle maintenance and repair, transport (e.g. taxi service and vehicle rental), hotels, security, courier services, etc. and develop/manage Local Service Agreements
- Regularly review current TechnoServe and donor policies and procedures related to logistics, procurement, vehicle usage, and asset management to ensure compliance with donor and corporate requirements. Train and update staff on policies regularly to ensure understanding.
- Lead, and ensure full compliance with policies at every stage of the procurement process including reviewing Purchase Requisition requests, drafting RFQs/RFPs and evaluation criteria with programs staff input, seeking vendors, reviewing proposals, preparing bid analysis, screening vendors against prohibited parties lists, conducting due diligence (e.g. reference checks and spot visits to vendors), negotiating contract terms, structuring and managing contracts, verifying delivery and evaluating vendor performance.
- Review payment paper trails that are produced and carry out the operations check specifically required for processing by the Finance team.
- Maintain electronic and physical filing systems for all procurement and operations documents for the Rwanda office including a vendor database that captures key data including performance/delivery feedback to ensure TechnoServe only engages high-quality vendors
- Regularly benchmark costs for rent, IT support, and other key services to ensure that TechnoServe is getting value for money.
- Maintain an up-to-date and accurate asset registry for Rwanda while conducting regular physical verification/checks of all assets and inventory for the country office.
Engage with Implementing Teams (Procurement and Logistics):
- Oversee office administration including procurement management ensuring compliance with local and global procurement policies and procedures when procuring services
- Work closely with Program Managers on the creation of annual and monthly procurement plans for all program and country activities and review them regularly to ensure they are up-to-date and that the procurement process is well planned.
- Act as focal point person for all Operational Activities (IT, Procurement, Logistics, Fleet and Asset Management) in Rwanda
- Maintain a procurement tracker showing the status of ongoing and planned procurements and review regularly with country and program leadership.
- Provide pro-active advice to program teams to ensure optimal operational systems while maintaining adherence to TechnoServe’s relevant policies (e.g., vehicle policy, travel policy, procurement policy, etc.)
- Serve as the coordinator for travel and support for members of the cross-cutting programs or EA Regional Teams traveling in the country, coordinating logistics of travel and accommodation
- Ensure a safe, clean well-organized, and resourced office environment in all TechnoServe offices.
- Coordinate the administration of office resources and arrange for the repair and maintenance of the office and office equipment.
- Prepare and review monthly fuel reconciliation reports including vehicle maintenance reports by program and advise Program Managers on the way forward
- Oversee overall management of TechnoServe’s vehicle fleet, including establishing maintenance schedules, managing safety, security
- Hire and manage all office drivers ensuring they receive all necessary training on TechnoServe’s policies and that they maintain credentials
- Ensure field vehicles and driver administration is executed in a professional manner and in accordance with TechnoServe vehicle policy and traffic regulations, and that all related vehicle logs are filled out appropriately and on-time
- Ensure that rental vehicles are fit for the purpose hired, hired drivers have an acceptable level of skills, and are briefed on TechnoServe policies and code of conduct
- Ensure vehicles have up-to-date insurance, registration, and other required documents
- Maintain an up-to-date and accurate asset registry for Rwanda
- Ensure the transfer and return of assets to/from staff in different duty stations is tracked
- Conduct regular physical verification/checks of all assets and inventory in TechnoServe Office
Safety and Security in Collaboration with HQ
- Assist the CM in collecting, updating, and communicating about the safety and security situation in the country and operational areas when necessary and take precautionary measures to ensure staff safety.
- Develop, maintain and coordinate updating of the Country Safety & Security Plan
- With the support of the CM, ensure implementation of the Country Safety & Security Plan and other applicable safety and security related policies and procedures
Any other work related duties assigned by supervisor.
Required Skills and Experience:
- University degree or any related field; (Bachelors Human Resources, Organisation Psychology, Social Sciences, LLB). Possession of a Master’s degree in a relevant field or other Human Resource qualification / certification is an added advantage
- 5 years’ experience in Human Resources Management and proven experience in procurement.
Job Specific/Technical Competencies include:
- Computer Literacy: Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use specific computer programs or applications for own functional area. Has the ability to improve performance by integrating new and existing technology into the workplace.
- Innovative Mindset : Curious inquiries, asks questions, and seeks out information from multiple sources, learns from mistakes, sees change as an opportunity.
- Internal Client Focus: Client Focus is based on the ability to understand the client’s needs and concerns in the short to long-term and to provide sound recommendations and/or solutions.
- Compliance & Governance: Compliance with and knowledge of NGO policies, applicable legislation, grant requirements, donor contracts, the local labor code, and tax laws.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 16th January, 2021.