Building Learning Foundations (BLF) is a programme funded by the UK government which aims to improve the quality of teaching and leadership in Rwanda’s primary schools. The objective of BLF is to improve English literacy and Mathematics in grades P1-P5, ensuring that children have the required foundational skills to make successful progress through the system. BLF focuses on building the capacity of teachers, enhancing school leadership, strengthening the country’s education system and improving education for children with special educational needs. This project is delivered by a consortium consisting of Education Development Trust, the consortium lead, VSO and British Council.
Job title: Driver
Reports to: Logistics Officer
Responsible for: N/A
Usual office base: Kigali, Rwanda
Under the supervision of the Logistics Officer, the driver will provide effective transport facilitation to Ed Dev Trust Rwanda staff to attain the objectives of the programme. The role will involve driving over relatively short distances during regular working hours and extended trips requiring flexibility.
The role will also cover messenger, security and office back up support.
Vehicle management and transport coordination:
• Drive vehicles as requested with due regard to time schedules, apply knowledge of driving regulations safety requirements, traffic conditions and most desirable routes to maintain travel time whilst ensuring that all rules, regulations, and local requirements are adhered to in the event of involvement in an accident, take security precautions for the security of the vehicle and its contents.
• Ensure the safety of all passengers, ensuring they wear seat belts.
• Day to day maintenance and cleaning of the assigned, check fuel levels, oil, water battery, brakes, signal lights, tires etc; make minor repairs and adjustment (e.g., punctures, wiper blades, spark plugs etc).
• To transport high level officials and office staff in safe and timely manner between designated locations using various vehicles in the fleet.
• Record mileage and expenses incurred during driving duties and report to appropriate personnel as required
• Keep and accurate log for all transport assignment.
• Arrange for vehicle care and maintenance based on service manual requirements and daily transportation schedule.
• Keep record of vehicle service records to track costs and maintenance of vehicles as well as justify replacement of the vehicle and/or parts at the appropriate times.
• Make regular deliveries of parcels, documents, etc between the office, collection locations
• Make minor purchases and collect required goods from local suppliers on demand.
• Act as back up to the administration department providing back-office administration support as office requirements demand.
• Support the execution of executive visits, conference, and social events.
? Bachelor’s degree or equivalent diploma or comparable experience.
? Excellent driving skills and working knowledge of road network system in towns and general knowledge of regions in Rwanda.
? Sound oral and written and interpersonal communications
? Customer focussed and possess the ability to handle queries effectively with flexibility.
? A minimum of 5-6 years of experience working in fast paced environment
? Valid Rwanda driving licence of classes B, C and E and certificates of Good Conduct.
? A minimum of 4 years of driving experience in 4WDs vehicles.
Education Development Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.