- Company: ActionAid Rwanda (AAR)
- Location: Zambia
- State: Kigali Jobs in Rwanda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Graduates Jobs in Rwanda
Position: Communications Officer
- Reports to: Head of Programmes and Policy
- Location: ActionAid Head Office – Kigali
- REPORTING STRUCTURE :
- PURPOSE OF THE JOB
This support function will collaboratively work with programmes & policy team, Finance, and Fundraising units. The Communications expert will be responsible for building a strong and credible profile, image and reputation of AAR using effective, creative and innovative communication tools. The position aims to raise the profile and improve the visibility of AAR from local, national and international levels. It also seeks to enhance interaction, dialogue, and communication with the key stakeholders of AAR, rights holders (women, children, youth and other people living with poverty) partners, AAI supporters, AAI membership, civil society, the public, local and central government, and donors
- Key deliverables:
- Review of AAR’s Communication Strategy
- Develop and ensure that campaign messages are clear and focused on intended audiences
- Ensure effective communications within the organization and beyond the organization
- Work closely with Head of Programs, with support from GS Communications team, to develop policy brief on Tax Incentives in Rwanda.
- Identify and support in the design of the appropriate communication and branding materials for the Organization’s One Global Campaign
- Ensuring that the blog through AAR’s social media is live during the public dialogue and the launch
- Conduct a capacity building for AAR partners, rights holders and AAR staff in developing effective communication strategies and activities
- Ensure the documentation of the process and the actual launch is clearly captured.
- Ensure collaboration and networking with other stakeholders including, partners, donors, Government Institutions, etc
- Internal Contacts
- Head of Programmes and Policy Staff and Fundraising and Sponsorship Teams
- Country Director, SMT, CMT and other AAR Staff, including People for Change personnel when present
- Media and Communications Staff in other Federation members and AA Global Secretariat
- Rights Holders, Partner Staff, Board members and communities being served by the partners
- Resource Persons, Consultants and Facilitators appointed by AAR and partners
- External Contacts
- Local and external Media.
- Local authorities, community leaders, Government Departments/Ministries, Parliamentarians, Politicians in areas or districts where AAR partners are operating and at National level.
- Other like-minded organizations including local and international NGOs and other civil society groups, UN and donor agencies.
- Principal Accountabilities
11.1 Development, implementation and monitoring of the AAR Communication Strategy and plans
- Takes a lead in the integration of communication, documentation and information work in the AAR COUNTRY STRATEGIC PAPER (CSP), Annual Plans and Budgets and Medium/long term plans and budgets
- Develops the AAR Communication Strategy in consultation with the Head of Programmes and Policy, SMT, and AA GS Media and Communications Team.
- Manages monitors and reviews the implementation of the AAR Communication Strategy.
11.2 Capacity building and support of AAR partners, rights holders and AAR staff in developing effective communication strategies and activities
- Identification of partner, rights holders, and AAR staff capacity building needs in the documentation, communication and information work.
- Developing and implementing capacity building plans on documentation, communication and information work.
- Training, mentoring and coaching of AAR partner organizations and AAI Staff in developing and managing their own documentation and communication strategies and activities, including follow up support visits to partners.
- Defines Terms of Reference and identifies suitable resource persons/consultants for the different training workshops and other capacity building interventions on communication and information work in partnerships.
- Ensure that ActionAid Rwanda partners implement their activities in accordance with the contract and agreed to plans
11.3 Documentation of AAR programmes, Management of Website/HIVE and production of publications
- Management and regular of the AAR Website, Social media sites, and HIVE
- Writing, editing, and supervision of the production and dissemination of AAR publications communication and information materials (e.g. newsletters, magazines, press statements, brochures, flyers, posters, videos etc.)
- Development and dissemination of IEC materials that facilitate sensitization of right holders, communities and other key stakeholders on relevant rights issues linked to COUNTRY STRATEGIC PAPER (CSP) strategic objectives and key change promises.
- Compilation of Impact stories and testimonies from rights holders (Women, children, youth and other people living in poverty), partners and other stakeholders of the programme.
- Compilation of best practices/ success stories and case studies.
- Production of and dissemination of the AAR Annual Reports, Progress Reports, and Country Strategy Plan.
- Produces internal and external newsletters, press releases, AAR magazine, brochures, flyers, and posters. Also assists in the production of audio and video productions.
- Takes lead in researches for compilation and storage of information in relation to program activities.
11.4 Networking and representation of AAR
- Acts as Media Liaison person for the AAR Country Programme as directed by Management
- Identifies, facilitates and maintains contacts and relationships with the local and global Media in order to build a strong public profile and visibility of AAR and its partnerships.
- Drafts press statements and organises press conferences in consultation with Country Director and/or Head of Programmes and Policy.
- Organizes and facilitates AAR’s public relations and marketing activities, including organization of Exhibitions at relevant platforms (e.g. Agricultural shows, NGO Expo, Trade Fairs, Public Meetings, Civil Society Meetings, Donor Round Table meetings, etc.)
- Contributes to the development and implementation of AAR campaigns and advocacy work by mobilizing different Media and other key stakeholders and setting up effective communication platforms for different stakeholders of the programme in order to influence policy, attitudes and behavior changes at local, national and regional/internal levels.
- Organizing and co-facilitation of commemorations/anniversaries of International/Regional events at National, local and partner levels (e.g. International Women’s Day, 16 Days of Gender Activism, World Food Day, Rural Women’s Days, Day of African Child, World AIDS day, International Human Rights Day, etc.)
- Participates in relevant AAI federation wide meetings (e.g. Media and Communication Team meetings); Civil society networking meetings; relevant Media events; Press Conferences and Campaigns being organized by AAIR partners, Civil Society and other like-minded organizations, including the UN and relevant government departments.
11.5 Support on Fundraising and Sponsorship work of AAR
- Gives technical support to Sponsorship & Fundraising team in sponsorship communications activities
- Support Fundraising and Sponsorship and Programme Teams and AAR partners in writing and editing of Community Newsletters and production of Reports
- Contribute to the development of Concept Papers and Project Proposals linked to the Strategic objectives of the Country Strategic Paper (COUNTRY STRATEGIC PAPER (CSP))
11.6 Human Resources, Organisational effectiveness and other duties as delegated by Management
- Participates in recruitment and selection of communications and other staff
- Co-facilitation of partnership assessments, appraisals, baselines, LRP, and National PRRPs
- Contributes to the organization of staff planning and review retreats and other internal meetings.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND COMPETENCIES
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized College or University i.e. either in Media Studies, Communication, Journalism, Marketing or other related disciplines.
- At least 5 year’s practical experience working for and with different Media as a journalist, communications, information, public relations and/or marketing Officer.
- Having worked with international NGOs in the field of Communications, Public relations, Marketing, Information and/or relevant field would be a supplementary benefit.
12.3 Other requirements and competences
- Strong command in oral and written English and Kinyarwanda as well as a working knowledge of French.
- High skills level in using different Computer software packages for producing various publications and IEC materials.
- A flair for writing and finding good stories.
- Experience working with new media/web will be an added advantage.
- Interpersonal communication skills and proven skills in teamwork.
- Ability and willingness to work with people of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Have a driver’s license and have some experience in driving (preferably two years or more).
- Female Candidates are encouraged to apply.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit in this filled application forms;
https://rwanda.actionaid.digital/jobs/2019/application-form-post-communications-officer to Rwanda.firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 11 th September 2018 @ 5 PM. Indicate in the subject line: Communications Officer .
NB: Applications which are not in the required application forms will not be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
ActionAid is an equal opportunity employer and candidates will be expected to embody ActionAid’s values and adhere to organization policies including the Child Protection Policy.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.