Hydro Operation Great Lakes Ltd (HOGL) is a company based in Kigali, active since 2016 in the development, engineering, operation, and maintenance of hydroelectric power plants in the Great Lakes area (Rwanda, DRC, Burundi).
To support our growth, we are currently looking for a “Chief Operator”, for the Rwaza powerplant (2,6 MW). The person on this position will report directly to the Plant Manager and the Managing Director.
The workplace for this position is located at Rwaza Power Plant, Nyakinama, Musanze District. This Power Plant is operated and maintained by HOGL Ltd. The team on site is about 10 skilled employees, 12 permanents workers, and until 20 casual workers.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
- Manages the team of shift operators, intake operators, and trash rack cleaners
- Ensures fullfillment of operation procedures on site;
- Ensures the training of the operators and cleaners on-site;
- Manages the planning of the team to have 24/7 the right person(s) at the right position(s);
- Controls day to day performance of the member of the team;
- Daily controls of the efficiency of the plant;
- Prepares the weekly and monthly reports of operations (HR, production, efficiency,…);
- In collaboration with the Plant Manager and the head quarter:
- Improves the operation procedures to optimize the production;
- Assists in the task of recruitment of new employees;
- Assists the chief technician during maintenance;
- Assists the HSE officer to implements the HSE policy;
- Manages the petty cash during the absence of the plant manager;
- Replaces the plant manager during his holidays;
- Assists shift operator during critical phases (HPP partially in maintenance, flood period, etc.);
- Assists dam operator during critical phases (HPP partially in maintenance, flood period, etc.);
- Operates the plant as shift operator when it’s needed.
- High interest in the energy sector;
- Adaptable and flexible;
- Assertive, high-energy person;
- Strong leadership, communication skills;
- Excellent planning and analytical skills;
- Team-focused mentality;
- Problem solving and troubleshooting capabilities;
- Excellent record keeping/documentation skills;
- High sense of urgency and ability to achieve priorities;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, especially Excel ;
- Good training skills.
- University degree in a relevant field (electricity, electromechanic or mechanic );
- 5 to 10 years of work experience;
- Excellent management skills;
- Excellent skills in monitoring and writing reports;
- Excellent Computer skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint);
- Experience of at least 3 years as manager of at least 3 technicians/operators;
- Proven track record and experience in at least one of the following:
- Experience of at least 3 years in PLC, controls panels and motors;
- Experience of at least 3 years as operator/technician of a power plant;
- Experience of at least 5 years in an industrial environment with medium voltage equipment;
- Excellent oral and written command of Kinyarwanda and English. Swahili and/or French are assets;
- Knowledge in HSE policy is an asset;
- A driving license is an asset;
- Experience working for an international company or organization is an asset.
What we offer:
- A stable job, working for an international company;
- The opportunity to learn from experienced engineers and an international team;
- The possibility to be part of a growing international company, with good future career prospects;
- A competitive salary, based on your experience;
- An open-ended contract.
Method of Application
In case of interest, please complete this online form , at the end you will receive instructions to send us your CV and cover letter.
Deadline for application: 01/03/2021.
For more information visit http://www.hogl.rw