Transport Planning Consultant
Jobs at:Institute for Transportation and Development Policy
Deadline of this Job:
13 July 2020
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
About The Position
Based in Kigali, Rwanda, the Transport Planning Consultant will play a key role in the conceptualization, design, and implementation of sustainable transport solutions. The Consultant’s work areas will include public transport, street design, parking management, and urban development policy. The job will entail a significant amount of fieldwork, including site visits and surveys. The Consultant will analyse primary and secondary transport data, prepare conceptual designs, and monitor project implementation. The Consultant will work closely with governments, consultants, and partner organisations. The Consultant will be based in Kigali and will report to the Africa Program Director and will work closely with head office staff, international experts, United Nations entities, and partner organizations. .
• Work with governments, public transport authorities, and other bodies to collect, process, and analyze transport data.
• Plan and design non-motorised transport facilities.
• Prepare feasibility reports for transport systems.
• Gather information on international best practices in transport system design and apply lessons learned in locally.
• Support ITDP director in maintaining working relationships with national and local government officials, private sector counterparts, and NGO partners.
• Represent ITDP in meetings with civil society and government partners.
• Work with the Communications Team to create communications materials that facilitate implementation of ITDP initiatives.
• Other duties as assigned.
Job Skills: Not Specified
• A Master’s Degree in transportation planning, transportation engineering, city planning, or other relevant field.
• 4-5 years of relevant professional experience.
• Excellent writing and speaking skills in English.
• Familiarity with transport planning including survey design and management; demand analysis; and network planning. Knowledge of transport modelling preferred.
• Excellent Excel, Access, CAD, and GIS software skills required.
• Familiarity with the Adobe suite preferred.
• Strong commitment to advancing ITDP’s mission and to environmental and social justice.
• Excellent research and analytical skills. You should enjoy working with numbers!
• Demonstrated ability to manage people and projects to successful project outcomes.
• Strong communication skills, including preparing effective graphics and making powerful presentations.
• Ability to communicate complex transport issues through concise, compelling messages.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects with flexibility, work well under pressure and keep to deadlines.
• Ability to maintain high standards while contributing pragmatic ideas.
• Availability to travel frequently.
Job Education Requirements: Master’s Degree
Job Experience Requirements: 4-5 years
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Note, this position is limited to a term of twelve months and is based in Kigali, Rwanda, Local candidates will be given preference. Interested applicants can apply by sending the following information to [email protected] with “Transport Planning Consultant, Kigali” in the subject line:
• Samples of written work: thesis abstract, technical reports, etc.
• Samples of visual representations such as GIS maps or infographics.
• A one-page note on improving the bus system in your city (with three specific interventions).
We are unable to consider applications without the above details. The position will remain open until filled.