Strategic Education Advisor M&E and Researc
Jobs at:VVOB in Rwanda
Deadline of this Job:
16 June 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
In cooperation with the University of Rwanda – College of Education (UR-CE) and Rwanda Education Board (REB), VVOB started with a multi-year programme (2017-2021) on “Leading, Teaching and Learning Together”. The programme is being scaled up in primary and secondary schools to 17 districts in Rwanda and aims to improve the quality of education through the professional development of school leaders and teachers. VVOB and its partners offer professional development to teachers, school leaders and education officials through two modalities: accredited courses and professional networks. Both modalities are currently offered fully online. Monitoring, evaluation, and learning is a key component of the current programmes, which we seek to build on in our future programmes. VVOB is currently formulating a new multi-year programme (2022-2026) for primary education that builds on the current programme and brings in focus promotion of learning outcomes in numeracy through remedial learning, assessment and professional development of mathematics teachers. Various roadmaps for promotion of learning outcomes in numeracy are explored that are integrated in the Competence-based Curriculum in Basic Education in Rwanda as well as through extra-curricular activities such as after-school clubs that support remedial learning.
Purpose of the function
As Strategic Education Advisor M&E and Research you contribute to the ambition and values of VVOB in Rwanda by being the key person in M&E and Research.
You provide technical and strategic advice and guidance on this domain to VVOB and VVOB’s partners in Rwanda . In this position you report to the Country Programmes Manager.
As Strategic Education Advisor M&E and Research you will be responsible for developing a clear M&E and research strategy for the country programmes ,strengthening evidence-based practices and support in the formulation, monitoring and evaluation of activities:
• You support in the construction of correspondent log frames and indicators and instruments for data collection both qualitatively and quantitatively and you assist in and improve the M&E processes.
• You identify relevant research domains related to the country’s programme and ensure a good execution from start to end internally or through M&E, research, and systematisation consultancies.
• You build and maintain a strong network with research & M&E partners in the development sector in the country and in the geographical region.
• You support the reporting on existing projects and the formulation of new projects, including proposal writing, from an evidence-based and evidence-generating perspective.
• You take up a variety of roles in the capacity development process according to the needs, particular situations, and phases of the programme.
• You contribute to internal and external knowledge development and learning, by systematising lessons learned and sharing pro-actively lessons learned between partners, colleagues and other VVOB country teams and you guide and coach the Rwandan M&E team as the country programme scope grows.
If you’re our Strategic Education Advisor, your workweek at the office will include the following highlights:
• You give a presentation during an online conference on recent research related to evidence based decision making.
• You represent VVOB at external meetings with research and learning partners.
• You check in with the country programmes manager to give an update on the Theory of Change and results based framework for a new programme we are developing.
• You organise an internal training for VVOB colleagues on systematisation and later that week an external training for partners on the use of digital data eco-systems.
• You gather and analyse data in the field through surveys, focus group or other methodologies and instruments defined in the monitoring plans to produce high quality data and reporting, in function of the internal learning needs of the programme and donor requirements.
• In a team meeting with the programme team, you share some interesting research articles on school leadership, as further inspiration for the team.
Who are you?
This is an expat or local position, open to Rwandan and non-Rwandan nationals.
Your expertise and experience
• A Relevant Master’s or doctoral degree;
• Min. 5 years of experience in programme and/or project management preferably in international development cooperation, in particular on M&E;
• Research experience, preferably in the education sector, and an in-depth understanding of latest international development and research in the education sector;
• At least 2 years international (working) experience: you obtained your Master degree abroad, and/or you have working experience related to this vacancy abroad;
• Track record of published research is desirable;
• At least two years of experience in a position working closely with external stakeholders, preferably with multiple partners;
• English proficiency: CEFR level C1.
VVOB core competences:
• Result & Goal Oriented
• Lifelong learning and improvement
Function specific competencies:
• Vision building
• Problem analysis & Judgement
• Strategic Networking & Partnership building
What we’re offering:
• A full-time contract until 31/12/2026, with the possibility of extension depending on the availability of donor funding. This will be a local contract for national applicants or an expat contract for international applicants.
• An attractive compensations & benefits package.
• An exciting job in a growing organisation with varied responsibilities and opportunities for professional development
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Professional Certificate
Job application procedure
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE AND APPLY