Jobs at:Plan International Rwanda
Deadline of this Job:
20 January 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Career Opportunities: Project Manager-SDEPAY (39510)
Requisition ID 39510 - Posted 13/01/2021 - Country (1) - Programme Management
Job Description Print Preview
Apply Save Job
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion, and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters, and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national, and global levels using our reach, experience, and knowledge.
Purpose: How does this post support Plan’s strategy and mission?
Plan International Rwanda is looking for a Project Manager to lead, coordinate and manage project titled “Skills Development and Employment Promotion among Youth in Rwanda (SDEPAY – RWANDA)” funded by German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) in collaboration with local authorities and TVET training institutions to provide new innovative and job readiness skills to increase decent work by creating employment opportunities for 6,000 vulnerable youth aged between 18 to 30 years that are out of formal education. At least 55% will be girls and the rest will be boys with the inclusion of youth with disabilities and teen mothers. The project will be implemented in three (3) Districts namely Nyaruguru, Gatsibo, and Bugesera. The project has a duration of three (3) years (2020-2023). .
Typical Responsibilities - Key End Results of Position:
“What” is done and “why”, but not “how”; include indicators for success
SDEPAY Strategy and Management:
• Facilitate the work planning and management of the SDEPAY Project in three Districts namely Nyaruguru, Gatsibo, and Bugesera.
• Ensure that project results are achieved and reported on through the project’s MERL system.
• Ensure that the SDEPAY project delivers high-quality programming that is compliant with best practice as outlined in the SDEPAY project proposal, Plan Country Strategic Plan, and relevant Rwanda Government guidelines and policies.
• Manage the partnership and relationship with the selected project implementing partner and other relevant stakeholders in project planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting for effective linkages.
• Actively engage with NGOs and government agencies involved in SDEPAY promotion and formal youth development in Rwanda to promote collaborative planning toward long term sustainable solutions.
• Support in engaging local NGO partners for social mobilization, group formation, and training, business skills training, and financial literacy education under the SDEPAY project.
• Ensure that training programmes are developed and implemented for target youth in the prioritized sectors in collaboration with relevant stakeholders.
• Facilitate and organize review meetings at the district and national levels with partner NGOs in collaboration with other relevant organisations.
• Liaise with other technical specialists and other project managers to ensure effective integration of Plan programmes.
• Ensure Gender is mainstreamed in all SDEPAY related activities and maintain gender sensitivity towards staff and Plan associates to avoid gender discrimination.
• Ensure Safeguarding and Child Protection is mainstreamed in SDEPAY related activities.,
• Manage the financial, logistical, and reporting aspects of SDEPAY partnership assuring compliance with Plan and donor reporting requirements.
• Actively participate in all network meetings (both local and international) to learn and share best practices for management decision making.
• Stay current on trends in livelihood and youth entrepreneurship programming and methodologies and proactively seek new opportunities for effective partnership building and resource mobilization amongst private sector, NGOs, development actors, and donors.
Partnership and Networking:
• Establish and maintain productive collaborative relationships primarily with a local implementing partner and with a wide range of partners and stakeholders operating in the prioritized sectors, other donors, private sector, and NGOs (at the national, regional, and District level as appropriate) to effectively assure that SDEPAY’s activities are collaborative and complementary.
• Organize and lead technical and coordination meetings among all the partners.
• Develop and implement strategies for improved networking by partners and sharing of best practices learned in the course of implementing SDEPAY activities, in order to accelerate program implementation and impact.
• Contribute to policy working groups/technical committees on the development of guidelines, tools, and materials for wider use in the SDEPAY, youth, and other sectors.
• Keeps partner informed of any relevant anticipated changes/developments in respect of Plan International Rwanda, Plan International Germany, and BMZ.
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Reporting:
• In collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator and the Grants Accountant, ensure ongoing and monitoring and timely reporting of the project against SDEPAY goals and planned results.
• In conjunction with the relevant persons, prepare Terms of Reference (TOR) for baseline and evaluation of SDEPAY and organise evaluations and learning reviews with consultants hired for the purpose.
• Compile, analyze, and disseminate, regularly, reports to Country Leadership Team on the SDEPAY project.
• Prepare and submit quality and timely periodic donor required report.
• Work closely with the finance and grant departments to review and assess monthly accruals and disbursements to ensure compliance with donor guidelines.
• Monitor partnership activities and put in place measures to improve the partner to ensure timely delivery following agreements under the SDEPAY project.
• Monitor and update the project risk register regularly and manage them.
• Manage the performance of direct reports.
• Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Indicators of success:
• An effective working partnership exists with a local implementing partner and other stakeholders.
• Timely delivery of quality project activities.
• Quality and timely periodic reporting (financial and narrative).
• Quality documentation of best practices on SDEPAY learning themes.
• Documentation of best practices in formal youth linkages and other SDEPAY activities.
• A strategy paper on formal youth practices using the SDEPAY methodology
• An effective monitoring system to track the performance of local partners.
Qualification and Experience:
• University degree in a relevant field and at least 5 years of relevant experience in livelihood programming focusing on youth entrepreneurship and economic empowerment, Social Science, and environmental sustainability.
• Strong understanding and proven application of project cycle management.
• A proven passion for innovation and a commitment to youth-focused programming. • Fluency in English
• Familiarity with current trends in formal youth economic empowerment, development, and environmental sustainability.
• A successful track record in supervising, designing, coordinating, managing, and implementing donor-funded projects (direct and implementation through a local implementing partner) and familiarity with BMZ, Germany guidelines and requirements
• Proven commitment to mainstreaming Gender and equality issues within work.
• Experience of developing, implementing, and monitoring for results.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to use different communication media effectively, including email, telephone, SKYPE, and written correspondence.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen, coach, mobilize others and develop effective relationships with internal and external colleagues, partners, volunteers, and youth participation.
• Ability to work well and respectfully as part of a diverse team, and in cross-cultural contexts.
• Excellent problem-solving abilities, finding innovative solutions to difficult and complex challenges.
• Ability to manage competing priorities, work with deadlines, and attend to projects and work processes.
• Energetic and collaborative spirit, with the ability to work independently and take initiative, and a willingness to develop new skills on the job.
• Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
• Willingness and ability to travel locally.
• Experience in designing integrated participatory strategies, community mobilization and capacity development, partnerships and networking, advocacy, gender mainstreaming, and learning from and scaling up good practices.
• Experience conducting research and evaluation of programs.
• At least 5 years of experience working in an international organization similar to Plan International.
• Strong knowledge of the Rights of the Child and Safeguarding issues.
• Strong negotiating, facilitating, and influencing skills.
• Excellent coordination and representation skills
• Strong analytical and presentation skills.
• Good communication skills.
• Excellent report writing skills
• Strong team-building and motivational skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft applications and use of relevant software and other applications, e.g. word processing, spreadsheet, database, internet.
• Promotes learning to influence high performance by SDEPAY staff and collaborators.
• A process-oriented working style, with the ability to be flexible and adaptable.
• Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership qualities.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Creates a strong sense of purpose within the portfolio and with stakeholders.
• Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour.
• Sound judgment and decision-making in complex situations.
• Commitment to working transparently and with integrity
• Teamwork player.
• Works well under pressure.
• Builds a solid network
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
click here to apply