Ampersand is seeking a mechanical engineer with experience designing and delivering solutions to tough technical challenges. A Mechanical Engineer at Ampersand will work with a team of engineers and designers to design and implement innovative solutions to optimize Ampersand’s batteries, vehicles, and swap infrastructure.
Ampersand is committed to gender equality in the workplace. They have so far more than doubled their female representation in their workforce over the past 10 months, and continuing this growth remains a key goal for the company.
With this in mind, Ampersand strongly encourages female applicants to apply.
An Ampersand Mechanical Engineer will hold the following responsibilities:
Product design and engineering analysis:
- Participating in all aspects of mechanical design and development of vehicle subsystems and charge station infrastructure. This includes brainstorming and low-resolution prototyping, CAD design, fabrication, testing and analyzing mechanical systems.
- Fabrication of prototypes using power tools and welding equipment.
- Interacting with and learning from our customers, the moto-taxi drivers, and championing their needs.
- Engineering analysis of vehicle and battery systems including performance and efficiency analysis, FEA, lifecycle analysis, etc.
- Participating in the development of processes and procedures related to mechanical systems, such as manufacturing procedures, charge station procedures, maintenance procedures, etc.
- Regularly reporting to the supervisor.
- Working as a team and assisting others whenever needed, and communicating clearly and often.
We are looking for a mechanical engineer with demonstrated industry experience. Candidates who possess the following are encouraged to apply.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or similar engineering field.
- 1-2 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with CAD and fluent in creating technical drawings. FEA, MATLAB, advanced Excel are a bonus.
- A team player who is comfortable collaborating across functions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including verbal and written communication.
- This position is based in Kigali, Rwanda. Experience of living abroad is desirable, and experience with cross-cultural teams is preferred.
- Near-native English-speaking abilities, with strong verbal communication.
- You’re interested in clean energy and environmental impact (even without experience in it yet)
- You are a hands-on, proactive problem solver
- You’re comfortable thinking outside of the box
- You are excited to be a part of a dynamic team
- You enjoy having a focus on the customer and care deeply about the impact we make on their lives
- You are looking for an entrepreneurial company that values innovation and strong execution
- You value diversity and community in the workplace