Livelihood Promotion and Employability Officer
Deadline of this Job:
23 December 2020
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the sectors of Decentralization and Good Governance, Economic Development and Employment Promotion, Energy and Information and Communications Technology.
The Economic Inclusion of Refugees and Host Communities project (Special Initiative Refugee) is a joint Rwandan-German Development Cooperation project implemented by GIZ, commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The project aims to improve the economic inclusion of residents of Mahama, Mugombwa and Kigeme Refugee Camps and neighbouring communities. The project facilitates interventions in the following fields of action: (1) improvement of framework conditions at a national and local level, (2) business start-ups and expansions particularly in the refugee camps and surrounding areas, (3) professional development for young refugees and the youth from neighbouring communities and (4) psychosocial support for those in need.
In light of a potential EU financed replication of interventions in Gihembe Refugee Camp and in Gicumbi District, we are looking for a Livelihood Promotion and Employabity Officer to support the SI Refugee team. The position will be based in Gicumbi with regular travel to Kigali.
Fixed Term: 01.02.2021 – 31.05.2023 .
The Officer is responsible for:
• Implementation of all field activities under the supervision of the Project Manager and in close cooperation with consultants and advisors in the key areas of enhancing framework conditions to promote local economic development to enhance economic inclusion of refugees and host communities, fostering conflict transformation and dialogue and coordinating activities in the field of professional upgrading and entrepreneurship promotion in Gicumbi district and Gihembe Refugee Camp
• Supporting the local organizations and beneficiaries in the areas of employment promotion and professional qualification for refugees and inhabitants of host communities
The Officer performs the following tasks:
a. Enhancingframework conditions
• Supporting the rollout of baseline studies, including an employment and labour market analysis, entrepreneurship baseline study and business opportunity study • On the basis of which the officer validates findings with local stakeholders regarding administrative barriers for inclusive economic development
• Facilitate the organization of campaigns and dialogue mechanisms to raise awareness on economic inclusion of refugees at district level
b. Activitiesof entrepreneurship promotion and business development
• Identifying persons with the potential to become entrepreneurs, business creators, and MSMEs with growth potential to expand business operations in coordination with local partners
• Providing support for service providers and partner organizations in the development of business training programs
• Linking entrepreneurs with financial institutions, national or international investors • Supporting the development of public-private partnerships or similar kinds of development partnerships
• Identifying and addressing gaps and barriers for economic development in the target region
c. Vocational qualification measures and employability
• Providing technical support and advising on technical and vocational qualification and training (TVET) and career guidance to the project technical team and local partners.
• Supporting in developing concepts for the integration of young persons from refugee and host communities from qualification training to wage employment or self-employment.
• Advising training providers in designing and implementing short-term training courses according to the standards of the Workforce Development Authority and identifying and advising organizations on career guidance services
• Supporting private and public-sector partners in the development, implementation, and coordination of innovative qualification approaches (modern apprenticeship, dual training).
• Networking and cooperation management with private and public stakeholders in TVET.
d. Supporting activities for psychosocial support and conflict transformation
• Supporting the development of projects with local organizations in providing services to training providers, vocational schools, entrepreneurs, consultants to sensitize on the psychosocial impacts of displacement and instruments for conflict transformation.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Qualifications and professional experience
• Master’s degree in economics, economic, regional or business development or similar
• At least 5 years of professional experience in a comparable position in the fields livelihood promotion, employability, private sector development and/or vocational qualification.
• Experience with EU financed projects is an asset, as well as working with public authorities such as district administrations
Other knowledge, additional competences
• Strong project management and coordination skills as well as working experience with refugees and a good understanding of the situation of refugee communities in Rwanda
• Strong advisory competency, high conceptual abilities, and understanding of development measures
• Finely tuned organisational skills and ability to work on one’s own initiative
• Able to work under little supervision but at the same time being a real team player
• Quick learner; affinity to numbers as well as good understanding why details matter
• Persistent and focused on the tasks, but at the same time creative and open-minded
• Very good working knowledge of ICT and computer applications (e.g. MS Office); good knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint essential
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent knowledge of English, orally and written; ability to express oneself in clear sentences with relevant context; being able to write English with rigour and precision in grammar and spelling is an absolute must
• Excellent knowledge of Kinyarwanda, French is an asset
Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should submit their application (motivation letter, updated CV, certificates and references) until 23rd December 2020, by e-mail to [email protected] The email attachment (max. size 2 MB) should be a PDF file. Please quote the job title in the subject
GIZ is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified candidates. This includes the provision of reasonable accommodation, if needed, in order to participate in the job application and interview process and to perform essential job functions. Please, let us know if you have any particular requirements should you be invited for assessment/interview or that you wish us to take into account when considering your application. Women and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for test and interview.
GIZ Office Rwanda
KN 41 St. / Nr.17, Kiyovu
P.O. Box 59, Kigali.Rwanda
GIZ Office Rwanda reserves all rights!!