Jobs at:Greater Virunga Transboundary Collaboration (GVTC)
Deadline of this Job:
30 May 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, May 17, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Greater Virunga Transboundary Collaboration (GVTC) is an intergovernmental organization established through the GVTC treaty signed in 2015 between DRC, Rwanda and Uganda. GVTC is Transboundary Collaboration Framework for programs and activities on wildlife conservation and tourism development within the Greater Virunga Landscape, which covers the Central Albertine Rift (CAR) and shared by the three countries of Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda and Uganda. The GVTC’s goal is the improving conservation of species, habitants, and ecological services contributing to increased socio-economic benefits to the people of the CAR, through effective transboundary collaboration. GVTC works with and through partners towards synergizing the conservation efforts across the three countries. The Greater Virunga Landscape comprises seven national parks and one wildlife reserve disseminated along the shared boundaries of the three countries. The Vision of the Greater Virunga Transboundary Collaboration is: “The Central Albertine Transfrontier Protect Area network together with surrounding landscape is conserved sustainability” while the goal is: “Sustainable conservation of the Central Albertine Rift for long term socio-economic development through strategic transboundary collaboration management,”
It is against this background that GVTC is hiring a Legal Advisor for a 3-year contract of employment in order to strengthen its capacity for the effective management of the Greater Virunga.
Primary purpose of the position
• The Legal Advisor works under the supervision of the GVTC Executive Secretary.
• The Legal Advisor provides legal and ethics advice and counsel on matters of regional, international, and local law requiring professional legal expertise within the three countries GVTC is operating (DRC, Rwanda and Uganda), as pertaining to the implementation of the recently signed GVTC Treaty. The Legal Advisor will receive technical guidance, work objectives, and assignments from the Executive Secretary. This position of GVTC Legal Advisor is full time position.
• The Legal Advisor will be based in Kigali with possible periodic travel within the three countries. Additional duties may be assigned by the DESP, DESFA and the PC as much as necessary.
• The work includes the full range of consultative, advisory, monitoring, management, data collection, and analysis associated with GVTC program/project/activity planning and implementation, and the evaluative aspects of providing legal advice and counsel to GVTC on a variety of local law matters relating to GVTC interventions and operations (e.g., labor law, contractual matters, etc.), registration and taxation of implementing partners (IPs), customs, privileges and immunities under international law, and other bilateral issues that may arise. In addition,
• the Legal Advisor may also work on projects such as the harmonization of legislation related to conservation, wildlife crime, illegal traffic for wildlife resources, global climate change etc., as well as strengthening the sustainability of partnership with stakeholders, including the local government, NGOs and private businesses.
• The Legal Advisor will be closely supervised and monitored in the performance of the duties, in compliance with the guidance contained in the Employees Handbook and established GVTC practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provideshighly specialized/technical legal advice and counsel to the GVTC Executive Secretariat and its staff on local law matters relating primarily to the implementation of the GVTC Treaty, as well as to GVTC programs and operations regarding sophisticated issues in relation to international laws on treaties and Vienna Conventions as well as local law. Writes legal opinions and briefs regarding questions of (local) laws and reviews program material for soundness and accuracy with respect to local laws.
• Tracks and analyzes legislative and regulatory initiatives in the three countries and prepares analytical reports on executive and legislative activities/developments affecting GVTC.
• Conduct a situational analysis of the existing laws and policies associated with the realisation of GVTC long term outcome and work with the relevant Government Ministries to harmonise the policies and laws.
• Assists the GVTC on all legal aspects of taxation of assistance and registration; and represents the GVTC in meetings with host governments in the three countries and other donors regarding legal issues.
• Assists in the creation, review and analyses of memoranda of understanding, implementing procedures for the bilateral agreements, and other legal documents. Participates in negotiations on proposed memoranda and agreements, and Public-Private Partnership agreements. Drafts or reviews for legal sufficiency local leases and contracts, including contracts for procurement of goods and services purchased by GVTC.
• Obtains information through direct liaison with senior Government officials including key ministries and Parliament. Maintains contacts with members of the private bar and judicial officials on matters of local law.
• Stayscurrent with the laws and regulations of the three countries. Maintains familiarity with the laws and regulations affecting GVTC interventions and operations;
• Assiststhe GVTC in reviewing various issues for compliance with Rwanda's law including disposition of assets/property issues, source, origin, nationality, participant training, bilateral issues, waivers and tax and customs questions.
• Analyzes and evaluates policies affecting GVTC interventions in the three countries including tax issues as they pertain to the GVTC programs. Drafts proposed letters to Ministry officials and advises on political ramifications.
Working condition, Skills, Qualification and Duration of contract
• Qualifications of a Bachelor’s degree in Law. An advanced degree in a related field will be an added advantage.
• He/she must be fully licensed to practice law in Rwanda, and should also have passed the bar exam and be a member of the bar in Rwanda. Documentary evidence of license and qualifications will be required prior to engagement.
• A minimum of three years of progressively responsible legal experience, within a law firm, a government ministry or other government agency, organization, or donor international/local organization.
• Demonstrated experience in handling transboundary policy and legal matters will be an added advantage.
• Knowledge of international biological conventions, their ratifications processes and application.
• Excellent knowledge of English both spoken and written. Knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
• High integrity, strong result orientation, drives for Excellency and self-motivated.
• Excellent team playing abilities and having a keen client focus
• Sufficient knowledge in computer use, writing and communication skills;
• Driving license class B at least three years of experience is an added advantage.
• Ability to work long hours when required.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should send in hard copy, their motivation letter addressed to the GVTC Executive Secretary including Detailed CV; Certified academic documents to the Greater Virunga Transboundary Collaboration in Rugando- Kimihurura, via Kigali International Airport Road, KN 5 RD, KG 6 Av #16-Building- Opposite Cari Apartments, Mob. +250 788573965 or electronically by Email: [email protected] with copies to [email protected] and [email protected] latest on May 30, 2021 before 5:00 pm.