Host Entity- UNHCR
Duty Station- Nyamata (RWA)
Language Skills- English, Somali
Start Date- Immediate
Duration – 12 months
Application Deadline- 06 December 2020
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
The Interpreter will be assigned to work with the ETM providing support to UNHCR and its Partner agencies. The interpreter will report to the Head of Unit.
The Interpreter will provide operational support to registration, protection, refugee status determination (RSD),), child protection, resettlement (RST)and field staff of UNHCR and to the staff of partner organizations through language support services for evacuees from Libya.
Under supervision, the Interpreter is expected to provide interpretation in the following languages:
- Somali, English
- Maay Maay, (Somali), English
- The interpreter may be asked to translate written documents or statements as necessary
- Assist in the translation of all office documents including general correspondence, manuals ass required
- The interpreter is required to read, understand and comply with UNHCR’s Code of Conduct and realizes that he/she shall be expected to work in the spirit of the principles set forth therein
- The interpreter is required to read and understand the Undertaking of Confidentiality and Impartiality and understands that he shall be expected to respect the principle of confidentiality and remain impartial in his/her work
- The interpreter is required to read and understand and agree to abide by the standards of conduct set forth in the Secretary- General’s Bulletin, ST/SGB/2003/13 of 9 October 2003, concerning “Special measures for protection from sexual exploitation and sexual abuse”
- The Interpreter must observe total confidentiality regarding information obtained in the performance of his/her duties
In doing so, she will:
- be expected to be equipped with relevant knowledge and skills on the UNHCR’s protection mandate
- be expected to recognize, understand and within reasonable time have a translation in Somali issues discussed in English and vice versa. The range of interpretation subjects is broad, including politics, legal affairs, economic and social issues, human rights, finance and administration.
- A wide-ranging knowledge of world affairs, subjects (including technical terms) and United Nations processes is essential for all interpreters
Should have experience in translation Somali/English (priority may be given to BA in Interpretation, Letters arts, etc).
- At least 2 years of work experience as translator/interpreter in Somali/English
- Practical experience in translation/interpretation using technical terminology
- Written and spoken skills required in English and Somali
- Strong skills in the use of computers for word processing, spreadsheets and common business Internet usage
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Somali(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Crisis management and emergency relief operations
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup . Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile . Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 06 December 2020