Deputy Chief of Party
Jobs at:Water For People
Deadline of this Job:
05 February 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Water For People is a global non-for-profit international development organization working in Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Water For People works across nine countries, bringing together communities, local entrepreneurs, and governments to build and maintain water and sanitation services that will last. We have a sustainable solution to end the global water and sanitation crisis, and our employees across the world help drive this solution. Water For People Rwanda is a key player in the Rwanda Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sector effectively partnering with the Government of Rwanda and other stakeholders since 2008.
Water For People is currently recruiting for the proposal-based position of Private Sector Development Advisor (PSDA) for an anticipated USAID WASH Program in Rwanda. The PSDA will provide technical leadership of the private sector component in the program.
* This position is contingent upon award of funding and the donor’s approval of candidacy* .
The Deputy Chief of Party will provide programmatic leadership and collaborate with the COP in the overall staff management of the five-year USAID THRIVE WASH activity, aiming to improve access to, and utilization of, safe drinking water and sanitation services in ten (10) districts in Rwanda. DCOP leadership, management, and technical knowledge will ensure the delivery of high-quality programming and advance the position of Water For People as a leading organization in the implementation of the THRIVE activity.
Under guidance from the COP and the Country Director, DCOP will oversee the development, management, and implementation of the anticipated THRIVE program and he is expected to lead the program team to:
1) Strengthen decentralized WASH governance, including improving District WASH Boards performance and increasing public funding for the WASH sector.
2) Improve Rural Drinking Water Services, including improving the capacity of district WASH services regulator, provision of reliable water services, and increasing funds for operations and maintenance.
3) Improve rural sanitation services through increasing user’s willingness to pay for sanitation services and products and availability of sanitation services and products.
PROJECT SET-UP AND DESIGN
Under guidance and supervision from the COP:
• Lead the implementation and management of the THRIVE activity.
• Ensure that the project is designed and implemented to meet donor expectations in terms of timely and quality results and budget, including strategies for phase-out and sustainability.
• Ensure effective coordination between program partners and operations leads.
Job Skills: Not Specified
• Excellent management skills and good knowledge of US Government procedures and policies, agreement compliance, financial planning and management, procurement, sub-award management, and other management support areas/functions, including the ability to manage multidisciplinary teams.
• Master’s degree in Water Resources Management, Water Engineering, international development, Environment, or related field of study.
• At least seven (7) years of professional experience in WASH;
• Prior experience as a Deputy Chief of Party or comparable senior leadership position with significant budget management experience on USAID funded awards;
• Demonstrated experience of successful program management, including management of complex, high-value, multi-activity projects;
• Strong understanding of WASH governance structures in Rwanda;
• Solid foundation in a broad range of WASH subjects preferred, including areas such as sanitation marketing, tariffs and cost recovery, hygiene promotion, water scheme operation and maintenance, institutional strengthening, and sector reforms;
• Excellent communication in English both written and verbal.
• Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills is highly desired.
• Strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced and detail-oriented, with proactive planning and execution.
• High standards of integrity, professionalism, and impartiality.
• The ability to work collaboratively in teams, build consensus, and effectively coordinate with internal and external actors is highly desired.
• Ability to coordinate with partners from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.
• Ability and willingness to travel to target districts and abroad when required.
• Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
• Fluency in Kinyarwanda.
BEHAVIORS AND COMPETENCIES
• Connect to Mission – Works to integrate own behaviors with the mission of the organization, connects the organization’s mission with established structure and activities, and actively works to improve the capabilities of
• Manage through Ambiguity – Adapts to people, shifting demands, and changing priorities with ease; creates a clear picture of the importance and relevance of change; finds a way to apply innovative ideas to enhance business results
• Demonstrate Cultural Awareness – Establishes an inclusive environment; is appreciative, affirming, and inclusive of all cultural backgrounds; demonstrates active listening, empathy, and effective engagement to increase cultural
• Action-oriented – Integrates a variety of information or translates corporate strategy; drives innovation to create competitive edge; introduces substantive improvements to enhance performance throughout a functional area; creates something that stands out against the norm to help deliver industry-leading performance
• Sense of Team – Facilitates collaboration; invests in building relationships; advocates ideas and effectively negotiates to achieve mutually successful outcomes; knows and considers the capabilities of coworkers in own actions; bring people together across boundaries, leveraging differences to achieve results as a team
• Build Talent and Team – Builds sustainable talent pipeline; looks beyond own team, towards building organizational capacity; reviews employees’ capabilities to assess organizational capacity to deliver on strategy; challenges individuals to champion the talent management agenda; benchmark people capability and people process
• Impact and Influence – Empowers teams to perform; appropriately uses the power of the position as well as personal influence to achieve outcomes; persuades others to willingly pursue a course of action against their initial inclination; creates a team spirit of excitement and positive motivation; holds the group/team accountable to higher goals based on greater
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
If you are both qualified and Water For People interests you, please visit the local job advert websites for more information. Please apply with your CV and cover letter to this position in English to [email protected] In person visits or phone calls are not allowed!
Deadline for submitting your application is 5 pm MDT, February 5, 2021.