Communications and Event Officer
Jobs at:GIZ Rwanda
Deadline of this Job:
24 May 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, May 10, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Communications and Event Officer for Regional project “Support to the “International Conference on the Great Lakes Region”.The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the sectors of Decentralization and Good Governance, Economic Development and Employment Promotion, Energy and ICT (Information and Communications Technology).
In the framework of a multilateral commitment towards the promotion of peace and security in Africa, GIZ - German Development Cooperation – supports the International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR) in implementing its Pact on Security, Stability and Development in the Great Lakes Region.
Location: Kigali (frequent travels inside and outside of the Great Lakes Region)
Fixed Term: December 2022
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the Programme Assistant has the following functions and responsibilities:
• Collaborate with management to develop and implement an effective communications strategy based on the programme target audience.
• Oversees and leads on the administrative and logistical organisation of the project activities and events in ICGLR Member States (trainings, workshops, conferences etc.);
• Prepares budgets and provides financial oversight and follow-up of project activities and events
• Initiates and oversees procurement processes in line with GIZ rules and regulations
• Provide support to the project’s technical team with project management and implementation, including liaising with relevant stakeholders on the topics covered by the project.
Besides other duties within the context of the program assigned to the expert, s/he will fulfil the following tasks in close coordination with her/his superior:
• Write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, website content, annual reports, and other marketing material that communicates the program's activities, products, results and/or services
• Work closely and on a regularly basis with ICGLR Secretariat and decentralized structures staff responsible for information outputs and implementing partners (contractors) to systematize the exchange of information and news of their respective subprojects, topics, activities and update the web (GIZ IDA page and ICGLR website) with their inputs.
Administration, Logistics, procurement and financial follow-up
• Lead on the administrative and logistical preparation and implementation of program activities
• Prepares check list of events setting out roles and responsibilities and deadlines prior to the event
• Organises booking of travel and accommodation, including preparation of travel requests,
• Prepares logistics notes and agenda (with support of component leaders) and liaise with participants on logistics and conditions of participation
• Drafts and sends out invitation letters, confirm participant’s attendance and compile final participant lists
• Ensures security requirements of respective GIZ Country Offices are in place
• Provides logistical support during the activity/event
• Ensures proper documenting and filing following the activity and event for audit purposes
• Initiates, implements and oversees procurement processes in line with GIZ rules and regulations
• Ensures financial follow-up and sound filing of financial aspects related to the event/activity
• Contribute to the preparation and implementation of the program’s activities (annual planning, mid-term reviews, technical workshops and seminars, trainings, communication, etc.), including drafting of terms of references, concept notes, presentation, detailed budgets, activity reports etc.
• Provide technical, logistical and secretariat support during meetings, workshops.
• Serve as Knowledge management focal point
• Planning and organizing - ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan;
• Political Sensitivity – understanding of politics and state functioning in combination with diplomatic appearance;
• Self-Management – Excellent ability to deliver results independently, on time, and according to highest quality standards;
• Project management and administration - good analytical and problem-solving skills including ability to identify and participate in the resolution of issues/problems;
• Communication - good verbal and written communication skills as well as ability to draft/edit a variety of written reports, studies and other communications in French and English;
• Technology awareness - fully proficient computer skills and use of relevant software (MSOffice) and other applications;
• Teamwork - good interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
• Travel – willingness to travel frequently within the African Great Lakes Region, if needed over weekends.
• At least three (3) years of relevant work experience in the area of event management, logistics, administration, communication
• Excellent IT skills (Microsoft Office, Skype, etc.);
• Open minded, respectful and confident personality in combination with very good negotiation and communication skills;
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, content management systems, and social media platforms.
• Ability to work in a multicultural team;
• Languages: For the post advertised, fluent oral and written French and English is required. Knowledge of other languages (Arabic, German, Kirundi, Portuguese, or Swahili) is a plus.
• University degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in Communication, Management, Economics, Finance, Law, or related areas is a plus
• The programme assistant will be based in Kigali / Rwanda with frequent travels inside and outside of the Great Lakes Region. The expert will spend up to 40 percent of her/his working time travelling outside of Rwanda.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should submit their application (motivation letter, updated CV, certificates and references) until 24th May 2021 at 4:00 PM, by e-mail to [email protected] The email attachment (max. size 2 MB) should be a PDF file. Please quote the job title in the subject