Senior Project Officer
Jobs at:International Alert
Deadline of this Job:
15 December 2020
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, November 30, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Title of post: Senior Project Officer
Line manager: Project Manager, Mupaka Shamba Letu
Management responsibility: Partners, Project officer, Consultants to the project in Rwanda
Place of work: Kigali – Rwanda, with frequent travel to Rubavu, Rusizi, Bugarama Nemba and occasional travel to North and South Kivu in DRC for team activities
Duration of contract: Fixed term contract of 12 months with the possibility of renewal Salary: Competitive and in line with Alert’s salary scale in Rwanda.
International Alert (Alert) is an international organization headquartered in the United Kingdom that works to build peace by working with local civil society organisations through research, advocacy, capacity building, inclusive dialogue, and political and civic participation. Alert often works in collaboration with other national and international partners to deliver its projects.
General description of the position
The aim of this post is to accompany the implementation of activities of Alert’s Mupaka Shamba Letu project with the support of local organisations and groups of small-scale women cross-border traders in building peace, strengthening economic empowerment, and strengthening civic and political participation. The Senior Project Officer will work under the supervision of the Project Manager and in close collaboration with the Rwanda Country Director.
The Senior Project Officer will collaborate with Alert’s administrative and finance teams to ensure an effective accompaniment of local actors involved in the project and to ensure that all regulations and procedures of both International Alert and the donor are respected by implementing partners. .
Description of responsibilities
Ensure the effective implementation of activities
• Assist the Project Manager in the management of the project and act as a technical adviser of the project in the domain of small-scale cross border trade in Rwanda;
• Assist the Project Manager in the planning and organisation of activities;
• Be the project focal point for all activities being implemented in Rubavu, Rusizi, Nemba/Ruhwa, and Bugarama;
• Accompany partner organisations in the planning and implementation of activities against the work plan and the project strategy in collaboration with the Project Manager and ensure that partners adhere to the terms and conditions of their contracts on the project;
• Provide technical assistance to facilitators employed by partner organisations and accompany them in the implementation of activities, ensuring that the project’s results are sustainable, that partners’ capacities are strengthened, and that the project has greater impact;
• Plan training in collaboration with the Project Manager and participate in their execution;
• Work closely with the Project Manager to accomplish all relevant activities pertaining to the project.
• Be of Rwandan nationality.
• Hold a university degree in social sciences, rural development, agroeconomic science, political science, international relations, or a similar domain.
• At least 6 years of experience in supervising community development projects, including budget planning and monitoring.
• Substantial professional experience in the supervision of social cohesion, women’s economic empowerment, and community projects.
• At least 5 years’ experience in the domain of social cohesion through women’s economic empowerment, engaging women/gender in community processes, business, and decision-making positions.
• Have skills and direct experience of facilitating various training workshops and the development of training modules.
• Experience in economic development, working with VSLAs and cooperatives, participatory action research, and strengthening women’s engagement in decision-making procedures.
• Be capable of cultivating and maintaining open, non-discriminatory, and professional relationships with communities, public administration, and representatives of other organisations implementing projects in the same cross-border regions targeted by the project.
KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES
• Demonstrate strong professional integrity and respect the principles of the organization.
• Have a commitment to equality and justice and a high degree of loyalty to the organisation.
• A good understanding of written and spoken English will be a considerable advantage as well as the ability to speak local languages.
• Demonstrable capacity to work in an objective and apolitical manner.
• Have direct experience in the implementation of projects that use a gender-based approach.
• Be capable of developing good interpersonal relationships and of working in a multi-disciplinary and diverse organizational culture.
• Excellent French language skills. Strong capacity to develop different types of documents.
• Be methodical and pay attention to detail, know how to organise your work, especially in respecting priorities and deadlines.
• Have a good understanding of gender-sensitive approaches and how to practically apply this concept.
• Be practical, know how to identify problems, and propose alternative positive solutions that benefit all concerned and fall within the deadline.
• Know how to respect deadlines, strong capacity to organise workloads, and in managing multiple urgent priorities concurrently.
• Have experience in developing written activity reports related to project implementation.
• Knowledge of the following programmes: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and the internet.
• Excellent knowledge of other Microsoft office products and a good understanding of IT.
• Capacity to work under pressure and with autonomy while still in line with the ethics of the organisation and in maintaining a high quality of work.
• Commitment to the approach and values of Alert, in particular in responding to the needs of populations affected by conflict.
• Ability to think strategically
• Capable and willing to take proactive decisions and to adapt when necessary.
• Capacity to manage conflicts tactfully, strong capacity in communicating diplomatically with others, and in facilitation.
• Capacity to respond to needs in an independent manner and with a minimum of technical supervision.
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Applications for the post should be send by email only no later than 15 December 2020 to [email protected] with [email protected] in copy.
Please mention the following reference in the subject heading of your email:
Each application should consist only of the following documents:
• A curriculum vitae that clearly respond to the education, experience, and essential skills mentioned in the table above
• A cover letter that explains why you are the ideal candidate for the position as well as what has motivated you to apply for the position.
Please note that only selected candidates will be contacted in the next step of the application process.
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.