Rwanda Legal and Compliance Specialist
Jobs at:One Acre Fund
Deadline of this Job:
7th December 2019
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
ABOUT ONE ACRE FUND
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
One Acre Fund’s work is governed by the formal laws and regulations of Rwanda, as well as informal conventions that affect operations and government policy and rules that may be updated or changed frequently. As we grow, it is increasingly imperative to ensure that our operations all exist within Rwanda’s legal framework and that all departments are aware of the rules governing their work. .
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Research and analyze the laws, regulations, policies, and rules that govern One Acre Fund’s work in Rwanda
• Establish relationships with regulators and other institutions that administer the law.
• Develop and maintain a Risk assessment matrix while running a quarterly analysis of vulnerabilities and risks and implementing corrective actions.
• Maintain close contact with relevant government agencies to determine when new laws or regulations are issued that affect One Acre Fund’s operations and update One Acre Fund teams on these new developments.
• Lead on drafting internal policies that ensure external compliance.
• Collaborate with OAF internal audit team to ensure all teams and operations are compliant with the regulatory framework.
• Support the Rwanda Legal Counsel to develop and maintain systems that track Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for the Legal & Compliance Unit.
• Develop a compliance calendar that tracks the progress of compliance tailored trainings across the organization to promote awareness of relevant laws/regulations/rules for each department.
• Lead and maintain License /survey applications
• Provide guidance, upon request and need, for any new area of operation.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with at least 2 years of strong, relevant work experience and a demonstrated long-term passion for development work. Candidates with the following qualifications are strongly encouraged to apply:
• Professional background, with at least two years’ experience, in Law or Audit. Preference for experience in the agricultural sector.
• Leadership potential – experience at school, work, or in the community.
• Excellent command of English and Kinyarwanda.
• Top-performing academic background (must have at least a Bachelor's degree).
• Proven ability to write policies, drive projects from start to finish with minimal supervision
• Relationship-building skills: we’re looking for someone who is able to develop strategic relationships with our key regulators who can support in our understanding of legal policies
• Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to navigate complex compliance issues
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office
• Rwanda national – this job is for Rwandan nationals only
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Job Skills: Not Specified
Job application procedure
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication firstname.lastname@example.org