Head of Research and Information
Jobs at:Access to Finance Rwanda (AFR)
Deadline of this Job:
21 June 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, May 28, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Purpose Of The Role
The Head of Research and Information (R&I) has two key themes of responsibility:
• Lead program development and implementation for the Research and Information Pillar; this includes analysis of the ecosystem within which the Pillar operates, and understanding how supply, demand, and enabling environment interact to support or hamper the growth and inclusiveness of Rwanda’s financial markets.
• The Head of R&I will continuously monitor the desirability and feasibility of the different routes by which beneficial change can be stimulated, e.g. new investments, instruments, partnerships, and communications
• Directing the cross-cutting research and information service that supports the whole organization and informs the development of all interventions. This involves providing expert advice on the design, measurement, and adaptive management of impactful interventions. It also involves leading the functions that contribute to AFR’s position as a thought leader and knowledge hub; including research, knowledge management, and communication, and ensuring that knowledge is curated and communicated in a way that is accessible and relevant to all stakeholders
• The Head of R&I will be expected to initiate and take responsibility for nurturing key business relationships (e.g. with regulators and policymakers, trade associations, private sector entities, technical or funding partners); providing thought leadership, and utilizing influencing strategies to support the achievement of AFR’s strategic goals.
Reporting line; The position reports to the Chief Programs Officer (CPO).
Supervises ; Research Manager and any Data Analytics Specialist.
Scope Of Responsibilities
The Head of Research and Information will be responsible for the following key tasks:
• Lead the development of an innovative research agenda and strategy; ensure the provision of insights on how to optimize AFR's impact on the sustainable development of Rwanda's financial sector, and develop our understanding of how to make markets work for the poor.
• Take an active role in the development of the whole country strategy, encouraging the team to incorporate insights gained from research, knowledge management, and learning into the design of strategies and interventions; lead the development of strategy and annual work plans for the Research & Information Pillar.
• Coordinate the roll-out of projects so that results are achieved, risks are managed and that quality projects are delivered; ensuring that learning from projects is fully utilized to maximize impact and innovation.
• Support the development, and implementation of organization-wide systems that embed a learning culture, drive innovation, provide accountability for results, and effectively manage AFR’s institutional knowledge derived from research and analysis.
• Support organization-wide innovation, including the incubation of new interventions based on research and analyses, and support market players to have Research and Development capacity for sustainability.
• Oversee the development and implementation of AFR’s Communication and Influencing Strategy, aiming to enhance AFR’s impact through effective (wide-reaching and impactful) communication.
• Manage the finances associated with the R&I pillar, aiming to maximize the efficiency achieved with the available resources, manage risks arising from the work in the pillar, and ensuring compliance with AFR and donor policies.
• Lead the R&I team of staff and consultants in a manner that empowers them to add value to AFR and deliver high standards of performance.
• And other duties as requested by the CPO.
Education And Qualifications
• Minimum of bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
• Post Graduate Degree in Monitoring & Evaluation, Development Economics, Research, or other related fields.
• Professional qualification in monitoring and statistical techniques preferred.
• Certification in Project Management (e.g. PMP/ PRINCE2) is an added advantage.
Job Related Knowledge And Experience
• 10+ years’ post-graduation experience in development economics; ideally involving strategic leadership of research and market information management
• Strong technical understanding in research, strategy development, business planning and program development; knowledge of data science and cutting-edge technologies in the field
• Proven experience in strategic oversight of knowledge management systems and the effective provision of necessary management information
• Proven experience in managing and engaging teams for delivery of results
• Strategic thinker with the ability to facilitate program design at both strategic and operational levels
• Excellent knowledge of data and information quality management techniques
• Proven track record of working with a range of different actors to nudge and incentivize institutional change; cross culturally if coming from outside Rwanda
• Excellent written and spoken English
• Desirable Languages: French, Kinyarwanda
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Click in the link to apply. The application should contain a Resume with e-mail address, daytime telephone contact, qualifications, achievements, experience and names & addresses of three referees together with a cover letter (maximum 2 pages) summarising why you consider yourself particularly well suited for the position. Do not attach any other documents at this point.