Country Finance Manager
Jobs at:GiveDirectly (GD)
Deadline of this Job:
16 April 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, April 02, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The finance team currently supports finance and accounting activities in eight countries in Africa. As the finance manager, you will be supporting finance and accounting in two of these countries, and as assigned fill in other roles from time to time. You will report to the Senior Finance Manager (Africa) and have dotted reporting lines to Country Directors in your portfolio of countries. You will also work with your colleagues in the finance team to deliver on pillar goals.
We are looking for someone with a good technical background, strong analytical skills, strong collaborator and communicator, an endless drive for improvement, a solutions-oriented mindset, an ability to deliver high-quality accounting on tight deadlines, and the flexibility to adapt to quickly changing needs while being highly detail-oriented. This will be an individual contributor role, so we are looking for someone who is organized and self-driven.
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $500m since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 500,000 people, and launched offices in 8 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist .
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
• End to end accounting and tracking against the monthly close calendar, including book-keeping and presentation of monthly reports
• Implementing payment and procurement protocols, including ensuring proper documentation and adherence to controls
• Preparing budgets and keeping track of costs drivers
• Supporting financial statement audits and special reporting to donors
• Payroll, statutory tax filing, and allowances processing
• Constantly reviewing current processes for risks, and implementing mitigating controls
• Recipients first - We prioritize recipient preferences over those of donors or ourselves.
• The team next - We do what’s best for organizational - not individual - success.
• Be proactively candid - We say what we believe, and are honest in sharing information.
• Create positive energy - We strive to be a source - not a drain - of energy for our colleagues.
• Think rigorously; act quickly - We are intellectually rigorous with a drive towards action - not debate.
• Accept reality. Propose solutions - We do not dwell on problems. We work actively to create solutions.
• Be productively ambitious - We take the risks to pursue industry-changing success, not incremental progress.
• Know yourself and grow - We recognize and accept our imperfections with a focus on growth
WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE:
• Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business, or equivalent practical experience.
• 4+ years of professional experience in accounting or finance, preferably within a top accounting firm, startup, or nonprofit environment.
• Technical accounting qualifications and/or experience, including knowledge of accounting standards, CPA or ACCA equivalent.
• Working language competence in English and French.
• Strong technical skills in Excel and financial & accounting software (e.g. Intacct, QuickBooks).
• Alignment to GD values (listed below).
Bonus: Proven experience working in a fast-paced, start-up, or matrix work environment
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 48
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and the basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**
Interested applicants apply through here: https://givedirectly.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0urgd?source=
The deadline:16th April 2021