Communications Assistant (Short -Term)
Jobs at:Chemonics Soma Umenye LLC
Deadline of this Job:
05 December 2020
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, November 09, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Title: Communications Assistant (Short -Term)
Project: USAID Soma Umenye
Soma Umenye is a five-year USAID-funded activity that aims to improve reading outcomes in Kinyarwanda for at least 1 million children in public and government-aided schools in Rwanda. Covering all 30 districts of Rwanda and working in close collaboration with the Rwanda Education Board (REB) and the Rwandan Ministry of Education (MINEDUC), Soma Umenye will contribute to Rwanda’s Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP) and the Government of Rwanda’s national development priority of ensuring that Rwandan primary-grade students acquire the fundamental competency of literacy so that they can succeed in future schooling and, later, in the modern workplace. Soma Umenye aims to achieve the following two goals.
• To improve reading outcomes in Kinyarwanda for at least 1 million children (unique direct beneficiaries) in public and government-aided schools in Rwanda by the end of P3; and
• To ensure that at least 70 percent of P1-P3 students are able to read grade-level text with fluency and comprehension.
To achieve the above goals, it requires close collaboration with all education stakeholders under the technical leadership of MINEDUC and REB.
Purpose of Assignment
Under the supervision of the Director of Communications, the Communications Assistant will work closely with the Communications Senior Manager to support communication activities to implement a robust communications strategy and media platform. The communications Assistant is expected to be a creative designer for USAID Soma Umenye’s audio-visual products. S/he will be responsible to create design solutions that have a high visual impact for both offline and online media. S/he will develop creative ideas and concepts, choosing the appropriate media and style that effectively communicate the aims and objectives of the activity. The incumbent will also be responsible for developing digital/multimedia stories to support narrative reports and success stories. The work demands creative flair, up-to-date knowledge of industry software, and a professional approach to time, costs, and adherence to deadlines. Additional details on specific tasks are outlined below: .
• Develop design themes by gathering information and data through research
• Demonstrate illustrative skills with rough sketches
• Work on layouts and artwork pages and make them ready for print
• Complete projects by coordinating with outside agencies, art services, printers, etc.
• Supervise and monitor all printing jobs
• Format key documents such as reports, briefs, and one-pagers
• Develop in-house publications such as success stories and testimonial booklets
• Provide photo and video coverage for program events (both in Kigali and outside Kigali)
• Film and record videos during field trips and edit them into presentable short stories for campaign activities
• Manage USAID Soma Umenye’s virtual presence on social media and web portals
• Work closely with communications and technical team to organize promotional campaigns and program events
• Work with supervisor to develop skits, video clips, documentaries, radio programs, media messages, and posters for display in strategic locations
• Collect information and prepare news, success stories, and case studies to profile program success
• Coordinate with team to plan and organize Behavior Change Communication activities
• Maintain professional contacts with key media houses
• Support team to identify promotional opportunities for program visibility
• Monitor SMS messaging/alert system and online social media presence, if applicable, for feedback from the public/beneficiaries
• Support in maintaining a SharePoint for documentation of publications and photos
• Support in writing quarterly and annual reports
• Conduct regular field visits upcountry, as assigned by supervisor
• Other tasks as assigned by supervisor
Job Skills: Not Specified
Suitable candidates should possess the following:
• A bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, graphic design, or a related field.
• At least one year of experience in graphic design.
• Excellent journalistic skills, including writing, photography, and video capturing skills.
Samples of photography and film footage appreciated.
• Strong graphic design experience required.
Samples of graphic design work are appreciated
• Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud Applications required.
• Strong knowledge of online communications resources, including social media.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate in English and Kinyarwanda.
• Ability to work well in a team and receive and implement feedback.
• Familiarity with USAID Branding and Marking guidelines preferred. Location of Assignment
The location of the assignment is Kigali, Rwanda with travel throughout the country.
The Communications Assistant will report directly to the Director of Communications or his/her designee.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
click here to apply