PERMANENT MISSION OF THE REPUBLIC OF RWANDA TO THE UNITED NATIONS
Job Title: Communications Advisor
Full Time Job
Location: Permanent Mission of Rwanda to the United Nations- New York
The Permanent Mission of the Republic of Rwanda to the United Nation is seeking to recruit a dynamic, professional Communication Specialist to support the Mission in all day-to-day communication matters.
The Permanent Mission of the Republic of Rwanda to the United Nations has the responsibility of representing Rwanda at UN multilateral fora to promote relations and co-operation with other countries and to support the purposes and principles of the UN. The Permanent Mission of the Republic of Rwanda aligns all its activities to four of the five major objectives of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Rwanda. These objectives are tailored to advance our national development agendas espoused in the Economic and Development and Poverty Reduction Strategy 3 (EDPRS) and the National Strategy for Transformation (NSTP).
The main responsibilities of the Communication Specialist are as follows:
- Develop and implement a communications plan which enhances Rwanda’s image and adds value to the Mission activities;
- Manage and update the Mission website and all digital platforms and create appropriate content to increase interactions and engagement;
- Prepare press releases, research papers, articles and newsletters;
- Draft and proofread a variety of documents including speeches, press releases, web content, presentations, letters, and other materials written by senior staff;
- Develop and maintain a database of audio-visual content to use on different events and issues.
- Monitor local and international news and prepare daily briefs on articles relevant to Mission work for the Mission staff;
- Maintain the Mission’s press lists and arrange interviews and press coverage for the Ambassador or any other Mission representative;
- Organize attendance of local media and photographers at press conferences and Mission functions.
- Assist in the organization of Mission events and occasionally act as the Mission’s photographer when necessary;
- Accompany senior officials and visiting senior officials on media engagements and providing briefing and support as required;
- Handle all media enquiries;
- Any other duties assigned by the Mission, including covering UN main committees work as assigned.
Key technical skills and knowledge
- Experience in communication domain across the devolved administrations, and with a variety of stakeholders both national and international;
- Working knowledge of public service policy issues and political awareness;
- Ability to work independently and without close supervision;
- Conflict management skills;
- Extensive knowledge in international affairs;
- Knowledge in administrative management;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Decision making skills;
- Time management skills;
- Organizational, planning and coordination skills;
- Writing and reporting skills including social media;
- High analytical and critical thinking capabilities;
- Knowledge of the work of the UN is a plus.
Education and Experience:
Master’s degree in Public Relations, International Relations/Studies, Media & Communication, Journalism, Linguistics and Literature.
Primary Degree in Public Relations, International Relations/Studies, Mass Communication, Journalism, Linguistics and Literature with a minimum of 3 years working experience in communication
Fluent in Kinyarwanda, English and/or French or Arabic, knowledge of all these 4 languages is an advantage.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted by the Mission for further assessment and interviews.
Deadline for application: 28 December 2020