Jobs at:Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA)
Deadline of this Job:
05 February 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA) is a unique and innovative English language undergraduate institution dedicated to preparing the next generation of agricultural leaders of Rwanda and East Africa. Students at RICA will engage in curricular and co-curricular learning opportunities emphasizing Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles, oral and written communication, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
In an experiential learning environment, students will develop the knowledge and experience necessary for a wide range of careers in agriculture. Students at RICA will experience the six Enterprises including Food Processing, Dairy, Poultry and Swine, Row and Forage Crops, Vegetable and Fruit Crops, Irrigation, and Mechanization. Communication, One Health Systems Thinking, and Entrepreneurship are woven throughout the curriculum. All RICA graduates will be innovative problem solvers able to operate farms and ranches, start agribusinesses, assume management roles in cooperatives, NGOs, and other agricultural enterprises, serve their communities as extension agents and technical and policy experts, or assume positions of agricultural leadership in Rwanda.
We are seeking a Veterinarian to join a world-class team of educators and researchers at RICA. Ideal candidates will have a passion for education with a focus on conservation agriculture and systems thinking and will actively engage with students in the learning environment by demonstrating technical skills and mentoring students. Such a candidate will commit to the RICA teaching philosophy, which celebrates experiential learning that is founded in research and extends to the community. This position has primary responsibility for health care of RICA livestock, but will also team teach classes with other RICA faculty. .
• Provide oversight of health care for RICA livestock, including dairy cattle and goats, poultry, swine and
• Closely collaborate with dairy, poultry, and swine enterprise leads and One Health Thread Coordinator.
• Team teach elective classes such as Animal Physiology, Animal Nutrition, Animal Health, and One Health with other RICA
• As part of a team mentor students on capstone
• Champion Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles in teaching and
• Join the extension team in providing veterinary care advice to livestock producers and extension agents.
• Other relevant tasks that may be
• Fluent speaker of
• DVM degree.
• Hands-on experience in smallholder and enterprise-scale animal health
• Hands-on experience with management of clinical cases including those that require surgical operations.
• Enthusiasm for conservation agriculture, One Health, experiential learning, and team
• Licensed for veterinary practice by a recognized
• Experience teaching agriculture
• Experience in active and experiential learning and team
• Demonstrated success in research and/or extension (e.g. presentations, publications, awards).
• Demonstrated relevant management and leadership
• Enthusiasm and motivation to be part of a team working towards the RICA mission
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
BENEFITS OF JOINING THE RICA TEAM
Academic staff at RICA will be part of creating something unique in the world. While working with other world-class educators and researchers, you will transform agriculture in Rwanda and East Africa for a conservation-minded and food-secure future. RICA staff will also enjoy an internationally competitive salary commiserate with the applicant’s background, a relocation allowance, on-campus staff housing or a housing subsidy, and an on-campus meal plan.
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Submit the following documents in English to RICA Human Resources website: https://rica.bamboohr.com/jobs/
• Cover Letter summarizing intent and suitability for the
• A resume or
• Official degree certificate for highest degree
• Summary of the applicant’s teaching experiences (500 words max).
• The applicant’s philosophy of education and how this aligns with the mission of RICA (500 words max).
• List of recommenders with contact
Review of applications will begin March 1, 2021 and continue until a successful candidate is identified.
Richard B. Ferguson
Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs, Extension, and Research
Dated: January 21, 2021