Social & Behavioral Change Content Writer: Contract
YLabs is seeking a skilled writer and storyteller who can create compelling and educational content for young people in Rwanda. You will lead the writing of YLabs Rwanda’s social and behavior change (SBCC) and health-information content, aimed to support young men and women to learn about their sexual and reproductive health, and find relevant information on employment and planning for their future.
This position will primarily support CyberRwanda, as well as other youth-focused projects. CyberRwanda is a youth-facing digital platform that combines an edutainment webcomic, with sexual and reproductive health and economic empowerment information and online ordering of contraceptives and other pharmaceutical products. The content is available in both English and Kinyarwanda, and we aim for it to be written first in Kinyarwanda.
You’ll be working at the cutting edge of design for social impact with a team that combines expertise in health, economics, evaluation, and design. Working hand-in-hand with our project partner organizations, you will develop content that helps ensure CyberRwanda works towards our SBCC outcomes while being fun and engaging for our target audience of 12-19-year-olds.
The ideal candidate is:
• Excited about the opportunity to build out character-based scripts and content on an innovative web-based platform;
• Skilled in the basics of storytelling for social change, but excited to innovate and think creatively to push beyond the traditional ways to tell stories;
• Able to plan, design and lead the team throughout the full content creation process, from developing the characters and episode outlines to writing the treatments, scripts and incorporating feedback;
• Experienced in working effectively both with a multidisciplinary team across different time zones and in engaging government stakeholders in the content creation process;
• Excited about co-designing content with young people, ensuring that their feedback and viewpoints are reflected in the content.
The ideal candidate has:
• A minimum of 2-4 years of experience in scriptwriting and/or content edutainment writing, with a strong preference for SBCC experience;
• Experience writing content for young people, in particular adolescents;
• Have previously tested characters and stories with your target audience;
• An ability to effectively communicate information, both verbally and written, to a variety of different audiences;
• Fluency in both English and Kinyarwanda.
Bonus points for:
• Experience in sexual and reproductive health and/or youth employment in Rwanda;
• Experience in social media and other digital communications;
• Experience working on USAID-funded projects;
• Experience managing content approval processes;
• Experience with digital platforms.
• Familiarity with human-centered design / design thinking
This role is based in Kigali, Rwanda. It is an 18-month, fixed-term contract. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com . All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. Candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis.
Youth Development Labs (YLabs) designs innovative solutions that address the complex and nuanced challenges young people face today. We work with governments and local partner organizations to create, scale, and evaluate solutions designed with and for young people. Our team brings a unique mix of human-centered design, adolescent medicine, implementation science, and impact evaluation to all our projects.
Founded in 2014, our organization has worked in thirteen countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, and Central America on sexual and reproductive health, mental health, HIV/AIDS, and youth employment. We have offices in Berkeley, California and Kigali, Rwanda.
For more information,please visit https://y-labs.org/job-postings/social-behavioral-change-content-writer