Jobs at:Laterite Ltd
Deadline of this Job:
22 January 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Amsterdam or Kigali
Requirements in a nutshell
Education: Master’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Public Health, Public Policy or a related field
Experience: Three years of professional research experience
Must-have: Experience managing data collection or research projects, including contact with external stakeholders; quantitative data analysis skills in Stata.
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands (for candidates with a valid EU working permit)
Kigali, Rwanda (for Rwandan nationals)
Laterite is a data, research, and technical advisory firm that helps clients understand and analyze complex development challenges. We work with universities, global think tanks, international NGOs, multilateral donor organizations, and government ministries and agencies. We provide three types of services to clients:
• Data: comprehensive data collection and data processing solutions;
• Research: from the design of large-scale research projects to analysis; and
• Advisory: strategic advice to bring evidence and learning to the center of decision-making.
Laterite’s growing network of offices includes the Netherlands, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Uganda. Our teams bring together more than 55 full-time local and international staff, as well as 1,000 enumerators across countries, in a dynamic work environment. We are proud to be a culturally diverse organization.
You can find out more about Laterite on our website at: http://www.laterite.com .
Job Description & Key Responsibilities
As a Research Associate, based in our Amsterdam or Kigali office, you will:
• Manage one or two research projects in East Africa: coordinating the project team; ensuring implementation according to protocols; managing to the budget and timeline; and communicating with clients.
• Play a hands-on role in all steps of the research process: designing the technical approach; developing protocols, research instruments, and sampling strategies; monitoring data quality; conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis; writing reports; and presenting to clients.
• Contribute to the development of new business: proposing research ideas; writing technical proposals; and pricing.
• Improve the way we work: researching and piloting new methodologies and technologies; standardizing and automating processes for data collection and analysis; and supporting internal operations like recruitment and IT.
You will develop skills and experience in:
• Technical design of research projects
• Data analysis
• Business development
• Managing a portfolio of research projects
This position is offered as a 1-year contract. Following this first contract, Laterite will be open to discussing the possibility of extension and, for candidates based in the Netherlands, career development opportunities in one of our East Africa offices.
Our ideal candidates are passionate about social and economic research in East Africa. They can quickly grasp research concepts and structure their technical approach to a problem. They have strong analytical and interpersonal skills, self-motivation, and a drive to flourish in a fast-paced environment, where timelines can often be unpredictable. Our candidates have project coordination experience and can manage activities involving varying levels of stakeholders and multiple team members. They are willing to develop their professional skills, contribute to the growth of an organization dedicated to social impact, and thrive in an innovative and collaborative organization.
• A master’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Public Health, Public Policy or a related field.
• At least three years of professional experience in research (whether in a project/program or academic setting).
• Strong analytical skills, experience working with quantitative data, and proficiency in Stata.
• Experience communicating with external stakeholders or in a client-facing role.
• Solid project management skills and experience coordinating projects with multiple components or teams.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
In addition, we value:
• Experience working with primary data (data collection or cleaning and analysis).
• Experience with Open Data Kit (ODK) or an ODK-based platform such as SurveyCTO or CommCare.
• Previous work experience in East Africa.
• Research experience in one of Laterite’s core sectors – education, youth and labor, public health, agriculture or urbanization.
• Knowledge of Python and/or R
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Please upload your CV and a cover letter explaining how your experience matches our requirements via our online application form: After submitting your application, you will be invited to complete a 30-minute quantitative assessment for which no special preparation is needed. Successful candidates will be contacted with information regarding the next steps. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis so we encourage you to apply ASAP.