Deadline of this Job:
30 September 2020
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, September 28, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Educate!, a fast-growing and award-winning social enterprise, is seeking a qualified and passionate Grants Finance Manager to join our ambitious and high-performing External Relations Team. Based in East Africa, the Grants and Finance Manager will help us meet and exceed our goals by creating budgets, budget processes, reporting, and owning compliance for the entire team. Reporting to the US Country Director, this position will play a key role in improving all Grants Finance systems and processes. .
Grant Budgets & Reporting
You’ll lead goal setting, maintain oversight, and ensure that Educate! meets and exceeds our obligations to funders by producing high-quality and transparent grant reports that keep our stakeholders informed and connected to Educate!’s progress and mission.
• Streamline systems and processes to make grant reporting and information sourcing more efficient.
• Work closely between departments and with in-country teams to ensure that all budgets are correctly categorized and set for reporting.
• Take proactive steps to ensure that timelines are followed.
• Ensure that the budget and reporting process is triggered and at a proper time.
• Run monthly stakeholder meetings with the Head of US Finance and Chief Finance Officer.
• Examining budgets and reports from a funder perspective ensures it meets the necessary criteria and can tell a story.
• Provide accurate and succinct updates to all stakeholders.
• Design, manage, and continually update and improve compliance systems to ensure that grant requirements and milestones are effectively captured, shared with all relevant stakeholders.
• Review all new grant agreements: Ensure reporting commitments are feasible, suggest any necessary revisions before finalizing, and ensure all requirements are captured in our compliance system and shared with relevant departments/stakeholders.
• Lead annual process for setting new external milestones and targets and track all milestones/targets committed to.
• Coordinate and lead regular inter-departmental meetings as needed for compliance purposes, to ensure all relevant departments are aware of grant requirements (i.e. M&E, Programs)
Grant Compliance Process Improvements
• Simplification of reports to minimize mistakes and grow capacity as the number of funders increases.
• Creation of a more centralized system that can track errors and identify weak points in the process.
• Create and implement a system that manages final grant agreements to ensure all necessary data is being collected to report against grant milestones
• Creation and maintenance of a pipeline of areas of improvement.
• Conduct research to support Educate!’s strategy for engaging with bilateral and multilateral funders.
• Source information from in-country team members and craft responses to answer funder or partner questions.
• Lead in-person or virtual informational meetings to share more about Educate!’s work with peers.
• Owning Educate!’s Salesforce Database
• Overseeing the members that input data into salesforce and ensuring there are no errors
• Exploration for additional uses of data on the External Relations Team
The ideal candidate will be:
• Highly organized, detail-oriented, and comfortable managing complex projects with many moving pieces
• Comfort with data, Proficient in Excel/Google Sheets, and working with numbers: We don’t need a finance guru, but we do need someone who has a head for math and logic and enjoys this type of work.
• A self-starter, able to prioritize and manage multiple assignments, take initiative, and work independently
A Strong candidate would also possess some/many of the following characteristics:
• Bachelor’s degree
• 3-5 years of work experience, preferably in the non-profit sector
• Experience working with funders preferred.
• Grant Reporting experience preferred.
• A good fit with our Five Cultural Tenets (see “What is Educate! About?” Below; learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.
• The preferred location for this full-time role is our Kampala office but we’re open to the position being based in one of our other offices in East Africa, in either Nairobi or Kigali.
• Benefits & perks include a generous vacation policy, health insurance, and breakfast in the office!
Job Skills: Not Specified
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
• We’ve got the impact.
• Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
• We believe in local leadership — 97% of our on the ground staff is African.
• Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting thousands more students than we can reach directly.
• Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
• We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
1. We Put Youth First – The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
2. We Are Always Learning – When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
3. We Only Solve a Problem Once – We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
4. We Are Flexible – We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
5. We Exceed Expectations – We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create their own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Follow the link below to apply: https://boards.greenhouse.io/educate/jobs/2342147