Project and Research Manager
Jobs at:The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute
Deadline of this Job:
21 August 2020
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH) is an associated entity of the University of Basel in Switzerland working in global health, with a particular focus on low- and middle-income countries. Swiss TPH combines research, services, education, and training with the aim of improving the health and wellbeing of populations through a better understanding of disease and health systems. Swiss TPH has over 700 employees contributing to its mission worldwide.
The Swiss Centre for International Health, a department of Swiss TPH, is represented in Rwanda through its Kigali regional office to oversee Swiss TPH research and project implementation in the Great Lakes region. Recently, the regional office has expanded its portfolio. To fill managerial needs, the Kigali regional office is looking for a Project and Research Manager to support the management and supervision of the existing research portfolio, and to explore further funding opportunities to continue its work in the region. The position is based in Kigali, Rwanda, and will be locally contracted.
The Project and Research Manager will complement and support the Regional Office Coordinator, and project team leaders in the management and supervision of implementation projects and research activities. The manager will have both technical and managerial tasks and should be well-versed in research and administrative skills, including development and management/oversight of project work plans and budgets, staff, logistics, and other administrative and financial aspects of the office operations. The will also support and liaise closely with the Basel- based Swiss TPH supervisors and project leaders in business development, including proposal writing. .
Summary of key functions:
• Provide strategic oversight and supervision of projects and research activities implemented by Swiss TPH at the regional level (30%);
• Effective day-to-day management of regional office administrative and financial operations in collaboration with Basel-based Project Leaders and Kigali Regional Office Coordinator (25%);
• Support or lead (as possible and of interest) specific research or project mandates (20%)
• Support business development and proposal writing (20%);
• Ensure partnership building on operational issues in the locations of projects and research implemented by Swiss TPH (5%).
Strategic oversight and supervision of projects and research activities
• Maintain oversight of all project activities in the region, ensuring high quality of their implementation and adherence to timelines and budgets
• Advise the regional coordinator and the project leaders on technical, political, or operational issues affecting project implementation
• Oversee and facilitate stakeholder engagement in all the locations of Swiss TPH projects
• Promote knowledge sharing and learning of the local research team
Day-to-day management of regional office administrative and financial operations
• Manage and supervise operations including finance, human resources, and logistics in the context of the regional office activities
• Facilitate consistency of office procedures and adherence to the procedures manual, including holding regular team meetings, maintaining high-quality records, etc.
• Ensure financial and program reporting and good practices in collaboration with the project leaders and finance officer
• Manage the recruitment of new staff, temporary personnel, and consultants and monitor their work to ensure quality performance
Support for research activities
• Design or review data collection instruments and protocols
• Conduct data quality checks and ensure adherence to research protocols
• Analyze data and assist in the writing of donor progress reports and scientific publications
• Train and mentor the local research team in data collection, analysis, and writing
Support of business development activities and partnership building
• Support business development and proposal writing to expand the project portfolio
• Oversee project activities and internal and external partnerships to ensure collaboration with key stakeholders within the project implementation areas
Represent Swiss TPH in meetings and technical working groups in collaboration with project coordinators
Job Skills: Not Specified
Required skills and experience
• Minimum Master’s degree in Public Health, Economics, business administration or other related relevant disciplines
• Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in international health research organizations working in a multi-cultural setting
• 2 or more years of senior-level management responsibilities including project and staff management, budgeting, planning, and quality control
• Business development experience, including acquisition and proposal writing for international donors
• Working experience in donor management at the international level
• Demonstrated ability to function at both policy and project implementation levels at national and regional levels Strong written and verbal communication skills in English and French (examples of written products required)
• Demonstrated integrity, competence, and commitment to the vision, mission, and goals of Swiss TPH
• Acceptance and sensitivity to cultural, gender, religious, and ethnic diversity
• Commitment to results-based management and reporting
• Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills
• Advanced research management skills for health interventions
• Strong quantitative and or qualitative analytical skills, including experience working with software programs such as R, STATA, SPSS, Atlas Ti, etc. is desirable
• Computer proficiency (word, excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
Start of employment: As soon as possible
Remuneration: $60’000 per year plus benefits depending on expertise
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Send your full application including a CV (no longer than 4 pages) accompanied by a cover letter to [email protected] including 3 recent references that can be contacted. For more information on the position please contact [email protected] .