Principal Ethics, Regulatory Affairs, and Research Environments Officer
Jobs at:East African Community
Deadline of this Job:
21 August 2020
Within Rwanda , East Africa , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, the Republic of Uganda and the Republic of South Sudan with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade, and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and South Sudan) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Health Research Commission (EAHRC):
PRINCIPAL ETHICS, REGULATORY AFFAIRS, and RESEARCH ENVIRONMENTS OFFICER (1 post)
Department: EAHRC Department of Ethics, Regulatory Affairs, and Research Environment
Current Scale/Grade: P3
Job reports to: Deputy Executive Secretary – Research
Duty Station: Bujumbura, Burundi
This position is responsible for collaboration and coordination in health research ethics and regulatory affairs. Specifically, it is responsible for designing, strategizing and implementing interventions for regional harmonization of health research ethics and regulatory guidelines; and for mutual recognition of ethics and regulatory bodies of the EAC Partner Sates. The position is meant to oversee the quality assurance of health research in the region. .
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Principal Health Officer Ethics, Regulatory Affairs and Research Environment will deliver the following duties and responsibilities in a manner that is consistent and cognizant of the EAHRC philosophy:
• Liaise with the management of the EAHRC
• Work under the supervision of the Deputy Executive Secretary (Research) to provide technical expertise on Ethics, Regulatory Affairs and Research Environment Set up harmonisation of health research ethics and regulatory guidelines
• Facilitate establishment of mutual recognition of ethics and regulatory bodies of the partner states
• Assist in development of the partnership with ethics and regulatory authorities within the Partner States
• Facilitate carrying out audit of research projects
• Research protocols and proposals
• Coordinate strengthening of ethics review framework and regulatory capacity
• Facilitate joint ethics clearance of research protocol and proposals in the region.
• Help member institutions identify and implement good practices in the conduct of research.
• Assume the EAC liaison role with national, regional and international health institutions and other collaborating organisations.
• Develop quality control and quality assurance processes.
• Provide regulatory guidelines and standardization of research protocols and proposals.
• Assist in establishment of quality assurance in health research in partnership with the national regulatory authorities.
• Address common intellectual property rights issues of relevance to health in the Partner States.
• Use resources availed by the Partner States to implement the Commission's functions
• Facilitate assessment of the extent of informed community involvement in health research
• Put in place strategy for joint clearance of research protocols and proposals
• Coordinate assessment of research quality assurance procedures of international standards and quality assurance of health research in the region.
• Organize, Coordinate and follow up the work of the work of the Ethics, regulatory Affairs and research Environment experts Working Group
• Facilitate promotion of intellectual property rights, patency, copyright
• Prepare progress reports and follow up on the implementation of Commission, Sectoral Council on Health and Council decisions by the department;
• Promote a positive corporate culture and image of the Commission.
• Perform any other relevant duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Deputy Executive Secretary (Research) from time to time.
Skills and competencies
• Demonstrated knowledge of and competency in ethics review frameworks;
• Knowledge and Experience in research ethics review processes.
• Ability to develop integrated results oriented annual work plans and other organization-wide activities (setting objectives, developing strategies, budgeting, developing policies and procedures, and organizing the functions necessary to accomplish the activities);
• Should have extensive and demonstrable knowledge of ethics review frameworks
• Proficiency in computer office applications
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• Should be fluent in the English language;
• Working knowledge of French and or Kiswahili will be an added advantage;
• Excellent communication and report writing skills;
• Ability to work as a team leader and to motivate others;
• Ability to work under pressure and to deliver on the set deadlines
Academic Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s Degree in Health Sciences ;
• A post graduate qualification in ethics review capacity strengthening and /or in monitoring clinical trials an added advantage
• Relevant working experience of at least ten (10) years in health research or related fields with five (5) of which must at senior level.
• Must have published at least two (2) articles in international peer review journals, with at least one (1) article as the first or lead author
Job Education Requirements: Master’s Degree
Job Experience Requirements: 10 years
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Eligibility for applications:
Applicants from all EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training, and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to:
• Fill in the application form downloaded from https://www.eac.int/jobs?start=20 attached on each job
• Attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
• Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
• For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 21st August 2020. Please note:
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not:
• have EAC application form;
• indicate nationality and age;
• have the reference number;
• or have an application letter attached;
• have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
• Or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age. Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in respective Partner States) and employment records.
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha – Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
E-mail: [email protected] ; copy to: [email protected]