Poultry and Swine Enterprise Technologist
Jobs at:Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA)
Deadline of this Job:
17 December 2020
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, December 04, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
We are seeking a Technologist for the Poultry and Swine Enterprise to support the Enterprise Lead in the technical management of poultry and swine, as well as in hands-on students training. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in practical farm operations within commercial poultry and/or swine production systems. Essential skills for this position include excellent animal husbandry skills for broiler, layer and swine production, processing, and biosecurity. The candidate should be able to work independently and efficiently direct the activities of farm labor. Candidates who have a passion for agricultural education and who are willing to actively engage with students in the learning environment by demonstrating technical skills will be prioritized. .
• Manage feed, hygiene, ventilation, lighting, water, and routine management practices to ensure that the health and welfare of animals are met at all times.
• Report to the Enterprise Lead in the technical management of broilers, layers, and swine.
• Work with the Enterprise Lead and other academic staff in hands-on training of students in farm operations and farming practices.
• Implementation and enforcement of appropriate biosecurity measures.
• Manage equipment and machinery used in poultry and swine rearing and processing facilities.
• Support relevant community outreach extension planning and activities.
• Supervise activities of farm labor.
• Participate in the planning, purchase, storage, inventory, and use of relevant inputs (feed, veterinary).
• Collect and organize detailed records of farm operations, including inputs used, biosecurity programs, equipment maintenance schedules, etc.
• Assist RICA Farm Manager with farm operation activities outside the poultry and swine enterprise as time permits.
• Any other relevant task that may be assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Animal Science or other relevant degree in agriculture, or 5+ years experience as a farm technician or manager.
• Recent practical and pertinent experience in poultry and/or swine production.
• Ability to solve basic mathematical problems applied to agricultural operations.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
• Advanced speaker of English.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
• Hands-on experience of at least three (3) years in commercial poultry and/or swine production.
• Hands-on experience in automated poultry and/or swine production systems.
• Experience with extension services and experience in farm management.
• The ability to deal with several activities at a time.
• The ability to be reliable, responsible, dependable, and to fulfill obligations.
• The ability to set high standards and to work to achieve success.
• The ability to cope with a frequently changing environment and to adapt to evolving situations.
• The ability to cooperate with others, display a good-natured attitude, and encourage people to work together.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Fill the information required, upload, and submit the documents in English to the link provided below.
Please combine your resume/CV with your degree certificate as one PDF file before you upload.
Application Link https://rica.bamboohr.com/jobs/
Application review will begin December 17, 2020 and will continue until a successful candidate is identified.