Jobs at:International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Deadline of this Job:
06 May 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, April 23, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Position Title : Pharmacy Assistant
Organization Unit : Medical Department
Duty Station : IOM Kigali, Rwanda
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G5 (UN salary Scale for GS staff)
Type of Appointment: One-year fixed term with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date :May 06, 2021
Reference Code: VN2021/14 - RW
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) and the direct supervision of the Migration Health Officer the successful candidate will assist in the management of drugs, vaccines, medical supplies, and equipment being used in IOM in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Kigali, Rwanda. .
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
• Store Drugs and medical supplies and equipment in the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) Kigali store as per good storage practices and laid down SOPs. Assist in the coordination of the proper maintenance of medical equipment used by Migration health physicians and nurses and replenishing their medical supplies as needed.
• Assist in proper storage of Vaccines in the Fridges and Cold Room with strict maintenance of cold Chain as per laid down Standard Procedures.
• Properly pack and label said items prior to distribution and shipment to various MHD Units in Kigali and the region, with emphasis on strict maintenance of cold chain for vaccines and other cold storage items and making arrangements for their collection from MHAC central store and shipment to these locations.
• Assist in stock control and Inventory management by maintaining hard copy records in the form of Stock movement sheets or bin cards, and a prescription file, and posting all transactions into the Pharmacy Web based stock management database and generating reports periodically when required.
• Assist in dispensing prescriptions and providing information and advice concerning side effects, dosage, and proper storage of drugs to migrants and staff. Organizing for out-of-stock prescription items to be dispensed at Coptic Hospital Pharmacy and issuance to the migrants.
• Prepare previously approved orders for drugs, vaccines and medical supplies and equipment using Standard Purchase Requisition forms (PRF) and liaise with the MHD procurement focal point in Program Support Unit and coordinate with Common Services (COS) Department to ensure that items are ordered as per required specifications. Receiving and inspecting deliveries of drugs, medical supplies/equipment and vaccines and forwarding the certified delivery notes to COS-Procurement unit for payment.
• Under the supervision of the CMHO and Chief Nurse, assist in preparing the required paperwork and documents for purchase, export to outside Rwanda and import into Rwanda for vaccines, drugs, and medical supplies.
• Assist in coordinating with local/national health authorities, physicians, pharmaceutical companies, hospitals, and laboratories as needed, for staff training etc
• Packing Medical escort bags/Kits as per medical conditions of cases being escorted using provided medical escort kits’ contents lists. Replenish and check the contents especially the expiry dates of drugs and medical supplies and condition of medical equipment of the medical escort kits before and after use by medical escorts.
• Liaise with MHD admin assist to dispose expired drugs and keep certificate for disposal in pharmacy records.
• Perform such other related duties that may be assigned from to time.
• Additional training experience in purchase, import, export and distribution of drugs, medical supplies/equipment and vaccines will also be an added advantage.
• Fluent in English and Kinyarwanda. Ability and willingness to work in difficult areas/situations.
• Teamwork orientated, capacity to work independently, sensitive to gender issues, personal commitment, efficient and flexible;
• Good interpersonal relationship and ability to work in a multicultural environment;
• Good typing, writing, communication and negotiation skills;
• Computer literate in Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
• Fluency English and Kinyarwanda is required, French and Swahili is an added advantage.
All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies- behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
• Delivering results: Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Communication: Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
• Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
• Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to [email protected] by 06 May 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
The subject of your e-mail MUST indicate the reference code, the Position title as well as candidate’s names
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a completed Personnel History Form (please download and fill it) and an application letter (not more than one page)
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.