Position: Pediatric- Oncologist PIH/IMB Oncology program
Reporting to: PIH/IMB-District Program Director/Burera
Summary of role: This role will serve as clinical team lead in caring for pediatric cancer patients at Butaro Hospital. Will also play a key role in programmatic implementation of Butaro Cancer Center of Excellence including training and mentoring of Butaro medical team and medical students from University of global health equity (UGHE). Will be expected to participate in activities targeting increased access to medicines and consumables, Oncology care documentations, Oncology care advocacy and implementing quality improvements and research and in developments, use and compliance to care SOPs.
CLINICAL & TEACHING/MENTORING
With input from Boston-based and other cancer expert partner team:
- Lead direct clinical care, for hospitalized Butaro or other partner location pediatric oncology patients including rounding at least 3 days a week in the Cancer ward
- Oversee and participate in the outpatient pediatric oncology patients care at Butaro and any other partner oncology Clinic such as the SHARED clinic at Rwanda Military Hospital.
- Provide general pediatric clinical care for both cancer or non-cancer medical conditions.
- Will serve as lead pediatric oncologist for in/out patient and pediatric cancer patients being referred to Butaro from outside facilities.
- Actively participate in the teaching of University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) students and other trainees from collaborating institutions.
- Provide CME/CPD training and bedside mentoring to general physicians, medical students, nurses at Butaro hospital.
- Participate in national oncology training programs and Oncology related Improvements.
- Contribute to supporting expansion and improvements in radiotherapy or other complementary cancer care modalities including referral system and documentation.
ADMIN & PROGRAMMATIC
1. Drive quality improvements in general pediatric care including general administration:
- Work collaboratively with other pediatricians and the hospital clinic services Teams like Head of clinical services, Chief of Nursing, Head of Pharmacy, and Head of Lab to ensure proper and harmonized delivery of pediatric cancer care services at BCCOE.
- Participate in addressing logistical gaps in optimal pediatric oncology care.
- Work with all stakeholders towards Clinical Care decision-making for both Butaro Hospital based and transfers of pediatric cancer patients elsewhere including for radiotherapy to Rwanda Military Hospital and outside the country.
- Actively participate in achieving PIH-IMB oncology 5 years strategic plan KPIs especially in cancer Program developments, quality improvement, and expansion of oncology formulary.
2. Support the oncology nurse educators and oncology instructor:
- Supervise and periodically review patient chart audit process to improve care.
- Ensure and promote time, accurate and complete medical record documentationn.
- Work with oncology nurse educators and oncology instructors to ensure safety of chemotherapy and continuous professional education of nurses.
3. Support the health informatics team:
- Actively participate in the Electronic Medical Records (EMR) inpatient point care processes
- Lead the review of oncology EMR forms and completeness of patient data.
- Participate in data quality assessment meetings.
- Contribute to the efforts to reduce lost to follow up among pediatric oncology patients.
4. Embody Compassionate Social Justice care for the Vulnerable
- Look out for and support the removal of social/economic barriers to care
- Ensure Patents are care for with dignity and Compassion
The person in this role will continue to
- Receive mentorship from pediatric oncology experts from partners institutions.
- Receive programmatic mentorship and support of IMB DPD and Oncology Program leads
- Participate in oncology research activities, and have access to the research mentorship and supports available at PIH/IMB
- Special consideration for attending national and international cancer-related conferences/meetings (available as budget allows)
- Continuous Professional Capacity Building
IDEAL ATTRIBUTES FOR THE POSITION:
- Medical degree and specialization in pediatrics. Advanced pediatric oncology training and/or demonstrated pediatric cancer patient care experience will be strong considered
- At least 3 years of clinical experience in cancer care.
- Highly motivated to play a key role in the advancement of pediatric cancer care at Butaro cancer center and among Vulnerable Patient populations
- Have a clear understanding and upholds principles of equity in health care and provision of cancer care in resources limited settings.
- Highly organized and able to keep track of multiple administrative and clinical tasks simultaneously.
- Show strong management, communication, mentoring, and teaching and leadership skills.
- Ability to work well with diverse team.
- Ability to work and live in rural places.
- Ability to live PIH/IMB values: Ubumuntu, Ubupfura, Ubwubahane, Ubunyangamugayo, Ubumwe, Agaciro, Kugira ishyaka;
- At Partners In Health, we are committed to ensuring that those who benefit from our work- including our patients, families and community members – as well as our staff are treated with dignity and respect and protected from sexual exploitation, abuse and sexual harassment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 25th May, 2022.