Job Opportunity: Newborn Health Specialist (1)
Why Choose IntraHealth
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work. Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we’ve built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective.
Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.
The Ingobyi Activity is a five-year cooperative agreement to improve the quality of reproductive, Maternal, newborn, and child health (RMNCH) and malaria services, in a sustainable manner with the goal of reducing neonatal, child and maternal mortality in Rwanda. The Ingobyi Activity will build upon the tremendous gains Rwanda has made in the health sector as well as previous USAID investments in the health sector to provide a healthier, more productive future for all Rwandans. Ingobyi will improve the availability, quality, and utilization of RMNCH and malaria services with resilience and sustainability. The Activity will partner with the Government of Rwanda (GOR) to build on the country’s considerable achievements, guided by national health strategies, goals, objectives, and data.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
IntraHealth seeks newborn Health specialist, to be based in Kigali who will provide technical and program support in newborn health for the USAID-funded Ingobyi Activity. The newborn Health specialist will be responsible for at least 5 districts in total, and will coordinate all newborn activities in facilities of those districts. The Newborn Health Specialist will be reporting administratively to the Zonal Coordinator and technically to the Newborn & Child Health Advisor .
1. Planning and integration of newborn support
- Work closely with the Newborn & Child Health Advisor , Senior RMNCH Specialist, professional associations, RBC/MCCH, and the Zonal Coordinator on planning and implementing scale-up strategies for high impact newborn interventions at facility level, including Essential Newborn Care (ENC) including Essential Care for Every Baby (ECEB), Essential Care for Small Babies (ECSB) and Helping Baby Breathe (HBB) 2nd edition , Post Natal Care (PNC) and care for sick and small babies in neonatology unit.
- Monitor the implementation of Ingobyi’s workplan related to newborn activities and ensure that activities are executed according to plan and are integrated across the RMNCH platform.
- Work collaboratively with other Ingobyi Activity team members to ensure coordinated project planning and implementation and assure resource availability and management of activities so that the project functions smoothly and efficiently.
2. Implementation and Operations
- Organize training of trainers and training of health care providers using The LDHF training approach.
- Conduct supportive supervision in supported facilities (hospitals and HCs) to support mentors and health care providers.
- Ensure the implementation of ENC and PNC in all supported maternity
- Support health care provider efforts to implement quality of care for newborns in neonatal and Kangaroo mother care units.
- Ensure the use of newborn referral forms during transfer of sick newborn
- Ensure integration of Family Centered Care in neonatology services.
- Work with the IPC specialist to ensure implementation of IPC in neonatology
- Support implementation of follow up of newborn at risk at hospital and HC level
- Support development or update of newborn technical materials
- Prepare and avail job-aids, protocols, and training materials in coordination with the Zonal Coordinator, Senior RMNCH Specialist, and the procurement officer and ensure that materials and supplies reach targeted sites in a timely manner
- Prepare and submit reports on newborn activities to the Zonal Coordinator and Sr RMNCH specialist, upon request, in timely manner.
- Assist with organization of meetings, trainings, field visits, events, and other activities
- Assist finance staff to prepare financial forms to advance/reimburse funds for on-going activities.
- Assist finance staff to review process and reconcile payment documentation from trainers, program, and management staff as well as from consultants.
- Assist with other programmatic and administrative duties as required.
3. Learning and documentation
- Contribute/coordinate with Ingobyi Activity’s MEL team to ensure that the project meets deliverables in accordance with the MEL framework.
- Ensure that newborn related activities are properly documented and that program data are systematically collected, analyzed, submitted and properly archived as well as shared across the project to inform Ingobyi’s technical reports and to feed into Ingobyi’s learning activities.
- Share experience related to newborn activities to inform the design of Ingobyi’s subsequent workplans.
- A0 degree in medicine or nursing and/or public health or other clinical disciplines
- Candidates must have A valid license issued by Rwanda National Council of Nurses and Midwives, Rwanda Allied Health Professions Council, or Rwanda Medical and Dental Council.
- Experience as a trainer in one of the high impact interventions for maternal and newborn health: Post Natal Care for mothers and newborn, Essential Newborn Care including Essential Care for Every Baby, Essential Care for Small Babies and Helping Baby Breathe 2nd edition and care of small and sick newborn neonatal protocols
- At least four (4) years of professional experience working in newborn programs
- Hands-on knowledge and skills in designing, planning, implementing and monitoring of facility for promoting newborn survival
- Sound understanding of current policy developments related to newborn health
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs including MS Excel, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint
- Strong skills in teamwork and networking
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English, French and Kinyarwanda.
- Solid skills in documentation and report writing
- Ability to travel nationally frequently
Managing Performance: Ability to plan and design practices, processes, and procedures that allow for effective management of people, resources and processes to optimize overall organizational performance. Managing for performance includes the ability to delegate and encourage growth and leadership across the team(s) as part of maximizing performance and productivity.
Strategic Thinking : Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating, and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization- and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision-making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.
Effective Communication (Oral & Written): Understands effective communication concepts, tools, and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors
Risk Management : Knowledge of processes, tools and techniques for assessing and controlling the organization’s exposure to risks of various kinds; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
Innovation: Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within assigned role that result in improvement of IntraHealth’ s performance and meeting objectives, results, and global commitments.
Accountability : Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research, and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for IntraHealth’ s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer . All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 2nd March, 2021.