National Public Health Officer
Jobs at:International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Deadline of this Job:
21 January 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Open to Internal & External candidates
Position Title: National Public Health Officer
Organizational Unit: Programme Department
Duty Station: IOM Kigali, Rwanda
Classification: National Officer Staff, Grade NOA (UN Salary Scale for NO staff)
Type of Appointment : One- year fixed term with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date As soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, and in close collaboration with the Programme Support Unit (PSU), and the Migration Health Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for public health project management support, implementation, and support. .
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
• Assist with health promotion actives related to health assessment programme at IOM Migration Health Assessment Center in Rwanda, implement various public health activities including research, data collection, and analysis;
• Contribute to IOM resource mobilization by supporting in drafting donor proposals, providing technical inputs on needs, opportunities, operational and financial requirements;
• Identify gaps and overlaps in programming, address unmet needs, and suggest adjustments to address priority public health issues;
• Assist in needs and resources assessments with Governments and partners in order to prioritize needs and activities in provision of services to migrants and other persons of concerns to IOM;
• Draft quality internal and external reports on public health activities, including internal and external sitrep, maps, and newsletters;
• Participate in various coordinating bodies including, but not limited to the ONE UN;
• Participate in relevant national and regional meetings;
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned
• Master’s degree in Public Helath or related field from an accredited academic institution; or
• University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience
• Experience in project management, training and capacity building;
• Proven writing and communication skills, and the ability to maintain effective working relationships with government authorities, international organizations, and other partners; • Knowledge of migration issues within organizational context;
• Coordination of actions with implementing partners, local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives.
• In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
• Proven ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds;
• Ability to work with basic presentation software packages (MS Word, e.g. Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel, etc).
Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda is required. Knowledge of French is an added advantage
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies: Values
• Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Appointment will be subject to certification by the Organization’s (IOM’s) Medical Officer, based on medical examination(s), that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the Government of Rwanda, where applicable.
This application is open to all Rwandese citizen and any other foreign national as long as such an applicant has a right of residence and right to work in Rwanda at the time of application (IOM will not be responsible in securing such Visas or authorisations from the Government of Rwanda, any applicant of foreign nationality must provide authentic certification from Government of Rwanda in regard to right of residency and right to work in Rwanda at the time of application).
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to [email protected] by 21 January 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
The subject of your e-mail MUST indicate the Position title, reference code, and the candidates’ names.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page) and complete Personal History Form (PHF) highlighting the required education and experience
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.