Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Assistant
Jobs at:International Alert
Deadline of this Job:
22 January 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, January 08, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Vacancy on the Position of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Assistant
International Alert has been working for 30 years with people directly affected by conflict to find peaceful solutions. We believe in a world where people resolve their differences without violence and can build a more peaceful future for their families and communities.
Salary: Competitive. Local terms and conditions will apply
Location: This is a Kigali-Rwanda based position for nationals.
We are recruiting the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Assistant to join our Rwanda team. M&E Assistant is supporting position and reports to Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Officer.
• Job Purpose
The purpose of this position is to support the continued growth and consolidation of the Rwanda Programme. This is a local position, the holder will assist the Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Officer and jointly work across programme projects to provide technical support programme staff and partners implementing in monitoring, evaluating, and learning from programme implementation. The holder of this position will support with generating projects database, data screening, data accuracy tracking and reporting. This position will mainly work to ensure quality programming, monitoring, and evaluation systems under the Sida-funded regional project “Mupaka Shamba Letu or MSL project aimed at improving social cohesion through cross-border trade by promoting business for peace environment in Rwanda, Burundi, and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). M&E assistant will liaise with other projects and work closely with project leads towards grounding a strong results-based working environment across International Alert Rwanda programming.
TITLE: Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant
Management LOCATION: Kigali, Rwanda with frequent field visits in Rwanda and great lakes region
GRADE: Grade 5, Step 2
CONTRACT LENGTH: 12 Months with 3 months of the probationary period
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
International Alert is headquartered in London. It holds more than 30 years of experience working to promote peacebuilding, policy influence, and evidence-based advocacy around conflict and gender-sensitive approaches. International Alert Rwanda office is mainly implementing Mupaka Shamba Letu or MSL project under which the M&E Assistant will work intensively. The office is also carrying out Duhuze (peacebuilding and reconciliation project), Farmers’ Voice Project (farmers’ participation to agriculture policies and governance), and Creating Off-farm Rwandan Enterprises or CORE project. International Alert Rwanda programs cover over half of districts across the country and work collaboratively with International Alert offices in Africa as well as around the world. .
Programme Support at field level:
Under the supervision of Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
• Set up simple systems to manage information or data generated by monitoring and evaluation activities, such as trainings, mobilization events, advocacy initiatives, researches, activity monitoring, and evaluations. Conduct simple data analysis and disseminate information to line manager for data validation and further inform programme management.
• Identify monitoring, evaluation, and learning or MEL staffing needs for peacebuilding, conflict-sensitive, business for peace programmes, and support staff induction on MEL programme coverage and training.
• Support coordination of needs assessments, ensuring assessment findings are documented and include sound analysis. Work close with Senior M&E Officer throughout of programme baseline surveys, mid-term evaluation, and endline evaluation where required.
• To ensure that the minimum standards of peacebuilding lenses are maintained in accordance with the International Alert Monitoring, Evaluation and Impact frameworks.
Capacity Building :
• Identify learning and training opportunities for projects and programme staff and work as a mentor for less experienced staff from partner CSOs.
• Conduct training and awareness-raising activities for programme and partner staff at field e.g. project officers and project coordinators level regarding MEL priorities and quality standards aligned to MSL project gender curriculum, entrepreneurship resources as well as business for peace manuals.
• Comply with International Alert policies and practice with respect to staff safeguarding inclusive of Covid-19 prevention, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
• At Alert, we have introduced Talent Management to our business model as we believe talented people are crucial to the success of our work. We believe all individuals are talented and that success comes in matching the right talents to the right roles.
• For this role, the skills, qualifications, and experience listed below are important, but we believe that to be great in this job you are likely, first and foremost, to have a talent for analytical thinking and persuasive communication, balanced with a constructive and collegial personal working style that can advance Alert’s goals of coalition-building and promoting peaceful outcomes.
• Set ambitious and challenging goals to further prove programme changes, innovations and harvest non-intentional outcomes from different projects in close collaboration with Senior M&E Officer and project teams.
• Widely shares the personal results-based vision to advance International Alert Rwanda programming
• Build and maintain effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners, and other MEL professionals.
• Value diversity, see it as a source of competitive strength.
• Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
• Develop and encourage new and innovative solutions along with data analysis, data visualization, and use of digital systems for data collection, analysis, and reporting.
• Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• Significant years of experience of working within peacebuilding, conflict transformation, and gender sensitivity sectors.
• Education to BSc/BA/ level in a relevant subject e.g., social sciences, sociometric, development, peace studies, psychometrics, or equivalent field.
• Significant experience of undertaking a MEL related role in the post-conflict or post-genocide environment
• Previous experience of managing a project database.
• Experience of, and commitment to working through systems of community participation.
• Demonstrated strong monitoring and evaluation skills, including planning/participating in evaluations
• Experience in training and capacity building.
• Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project data analysis reports. A high level of written and spoken professional French and good at English
• Excellent analytical and communication skills
• Experience or knowledge of working and living in the great lakes region
• Good understanding of cross-border trade programming
• Knowledge of partnership working
• Experience in both implementation and design desirable
• Willingness to travel and stay in remote rural areas undertaking data collection, success story collection, outcome harvesting exercises.
Experience with beneficiary communications desirable
MODES OF APPLICATION:
To apply, please fill out the necessary information and submit the following
• Cover letter motivation why you think you are the most fitting to this position;
• Curriculum vitae (Maximum 2 pages) with 2 referees;
• Example of any data analysis report (1 page) you did six months ago
• Include your names and position you are applying for into your email subject e.g., GIRINKA Marie, M&E Assistant Application.
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Closing date: Friday, 22nd January 2021 at 5 pm, applications beyond this deadline will be rejected.
Please send your applications to [email protected]
International Alert is an inclusive and gender-sensitive workplace. We encourage women to apply for this position.