ALIGHT works with its partners and constituencies to provide opportunities and expertise to refugees, displaced people, and host communities – to better survive conflicts and crisis, and to rebuild lives of dignity, health, security, and self-sufficiency. ALIGHT presently works in and with partners in seventeen countries globally. ALIGHT has consistently operated in Rwanda since the year 1994, and today has a strong and committed team of over eight hundred personnel who include full-time staff, community mobilizers, and incentive workers– implementing programs in Primary Health Care, Reproductive Health, HIV and Nutrition; also Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Shelter and general Infrastructure, Livelihoods/Economic strengthening, and Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Prevention/ Protection. Our work in Rwanda currently covers all the refugee locations and their kind Rwandan-host communities. And we are always looking to expand and, jointly with our partners, offer lasting impact with and for the communities we serve! ALIGHT is looking for a qualified, self-driven, and committed individual to join its team as MIDWIFE on Fixed Contract
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION :
The Midwife will be responsible for providing basic obstetric care to pregnant mothers and conduct deliveries of uncomplicated nature at the Alight- run Mahama health facility. S/he will be responsible for identifying high-risk pregnancies and refer the same to a competent medical team promptly and appropriately.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES;
- Interview patients and provide a physical examination to guide diagnosis;
- Promote and organize ANC (Ante-Natal Care) and PNC (Post Natal Care);
- Carry out deliveries according to MoH and international health standards;
- Understand and use all maternity equipment (extractor, MVA, delivery bed, portogram resuscitation machine) appropriately
- Perform postpartum examinations and treatments to ensure that patients and infants are responding normally;
- Administer medications (e.g. ergometrine injection) after delivery under the supervision of the Head Nurse and Medical Doctor;
- Document and discuss cases with facility Medical Doctor to ensure they are appropriately and holistically managed;
- Educate patients in different health and nutrition topics including diet in pregnancy and lactation and basic prenatal and postnatal health practices including hygiene;
- Maintain Infection Prevention & Control (IPC) standards in the maternity ward;
- Manage referrals for complicated pregnancies, to be referred to District Hospital with Health Coordinator and/or Medical Doctor approval;
- In the case of rhesus incompatibility, request gamma-globulin within 48 hours, and make sure it is administered promptly;
- Daily maintain and manage records for pregnant women, deliveries, and postpartum mothers;
- Provide obstetrics data and statistics to the Head Nurse and Health Data Manager on a routine and ongoing basis for reporting purposes;
- Provide family planning services to clients, including counseling, sensitization on family planning methods, dispensing contraceptives, and follow-up;
- Conduct informal and formal training for Traditional Birth Attendants;
- Conduct training for nurses on Obstetric/Gynecological practices and standards;
- Coordinate with other health staff on self-assessment of obstetrical skills and challenges;
- Coordinate with other health staff on the referral of obstetrics patients to other needed health services;
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor, or any other ALIGHT’s Senior Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Minimum A1 Diploma in midwifery, preferably with a background in nursing, with full registration and current valid and legal practicing license;
- Minimum of four (4) years direct previous experience as a midwife in Rwanda, with a high level of skills in clinical services;
- Knowledge of Ministry of Health standards and protocols for maternal/child health and obstetric health;
- Ability to provide Emergency Obstetric and Newborn Care (EmONC) training to health staff and TBAs;
- Excellent report writing, communication skills, and analytical skills for Health Data;
- The capable communicator in English, French, and Kinyarwanda; including written
- Experience working in protracted refugee situations or low resource settings a plus
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES :
- Self-motivated and customer-oriented with a strong sense of personal ethic, integrity, and quality;
- Excellent strategic thinking, process management, and problem-solving skills;
- Initiative, resourcefulness, and innovation;
- Commitment to personally champion ALIGHT’s program vision and mission and inspire others to do the same;
- Punctual at his/her duty station.
Interested and qualified registered nurses should submit a 1page Cover letter, an updated CV (maximum three pages), and names, title, and contacts of three professional referees, to include most current employer/supervisor (all in/as one document) – via email only to: [email protected] with the POSITION applied for clearly indicated in the subject line . The deadline for submission of applications is January 5 th, 2021 . Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.