Irrigation and Mechanization Enterprise Technologist
Jobs at:Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA)
Deadline of this Job:
01 May 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, April 23, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Irrigation and Mechanization Enterprise Technologist
The Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA) is a unique and innovative English language undergraduate institution dedicated to preparing the next generation of agricultural leaders of Rwanda and East Africa. Students at RICA will engage in curricular and co-curricular learning opportunities emphasizing Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles, oral and written communication, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
In an experiential learning environment, students will develop the knowledge and experience necessary for a wide range of careers in agriculture. Students at RICA will experience the six Enterprises including Beef Cattle and Small Ruminants, Dairy, Poultry and Swine, Row and Forage Crops, Vegetable and Tree Crops, Irrigation and Mechanization. The curriculum is designed to incorporate threads of Innovation, Conservation, OneHealth Systems Thinking, and Entrepreneurship. Communication, One Health Systems Thinking, and Entrepreneurship are woven throughout the curriculum. All RICA graduates will be innovative problem solvers able to operate farms and ranches, start agribusinesses, assume management roles in cooperatives, NGOs, and other agricultural enterprises, serve their communities as extension agents and technical and policy experts, or assume positions of agricultural leadership in Rwanda.
We are seeking a Technologist for the Irrigation & Mechanization Enterprise to support the Enterprise Lead in the technical management of irrigation and agricultural mechanization, as well as in hands-on student training. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in practical farm operations related to various irrigation practices and agricultural mechanization.
The candidate should be able to work independently and efficiently direct the activities of farm labor.
The position will require working in a team setting with technologists in the other Enterprise areas and the RICA farm team. Individuals who display a passion for agricultural education and who are willing to actively engage with students in a learning environment by demonstrating technical skills will be prioritized. .
• Report to the Enterprise Lead in technical management of irrigation and mechanization systems.
• Construct, operate, maintain and repair various irrigation systems types (e.g., sprinkler, drip).
• Test systems for potential issues and find solutions to problems/inefficiencies.
• Provide recommendations for improved irrigation operation at RICA.
• Work with the Enterprise Lead and other academic staff in hands-on training of students in farm operations and farming practices
• Assist in teaching course materials, varying from basic farm skills for beginners to advanced irrigation and agricultural mechanization courses for advanced students.
• Support relevant community outreach extension planning and activities.
• Operate hand and power tools/equipment safely and proficiently.
• Maintain tools and equipment in a clean and orderly manner.
• Operate farm vehicles as required (training provided if needed)
• Assist in monitoring inventory and ordering supplies.
• Maintain detailed records of activities and irrigation performance.
• Assist RICA Farm Manager with farm operation activities outside the Irrigation & Mechanization Enterprise activities as required.
• Follow safety protocol and promote a safe work environment.
• Meet schedule deadlines.
• Conduct other relevant task that may be assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Engineering, Civil Engineering or other relevant agricultural degree, or 5+ years of experience as a farm technician or manager.
• Recent practical and pertinent experience in irrigation systems.
• Practical plumbing and mechanical skills (e.g., pump maintenance).
• Ability to solve basic mathematical problems applied to agricultural operations..
• Excellent interpersonal, oral, analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Reliable and responsible; dependable to fulfill obligations.
• Advanced English speaker.
Preferred Qualifications And Competencies
• Hands-on experience of at least three (3) years working on irrigation systems, including center pivot, drip systems and advanced irrigation techniques.
• Practical experience in agricultural mechanization, such as engine repair.
• Farm management experience.
• Experience with extension services and community outreach
• The ability to manage several activities at a time.
• Set high standards and work to achieve success.
• Possess the ability to cope with a frequently changing environment and to adapt to evolving situations.
• The ability to cooperate with others, display a good-natured attitude, and encourage people to work together.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Fill the information required, upload and submit the documents in English to the link provided below.
Please combine your resume/CV with your degree certificate as one PDF file before you upload.
Application review will begin May 1, 2021 and will continue until a successful candidate is identified.
Richard B. Ferguson
Vice Chancellor, Academics, Extension and Research