Jobs at:African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET)
Deadline of this Job:
12 February 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is a not-for-profit, networking alliance and service organization that brings together field epidemiology training programs (FETPs) across Africa working side by side with Ministries of Health, regional and international partners. AFENET works to strengthen epidemiological and disease surveillance capabilities of African countries that are critical to meeting the requirements of the Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) strategy and the International Health Regulations (IHR). AFENET is seeking to recruit highly qualified & experienced persons to serve in the following positions; Field Coordinator, Science Epidemiologist and a Finance & Administration Officer in Rwanda. .
Basic Roles and Functions:
The Field Coordinator will be responsible for monitoring the work of mentors and trainees, as well as mentoring FETP participants and other public health workers for the Ministry of Health (MOH) of Rwanda to improve disease surveillance, early detection, and timely response to outbreaks.
Duties and Responsibilities
Works under the coordination of the Rwanda FELTP Director at Rwanda Biomedical Center to:
• Participate in development and implementation of an annual work plan for the Field Epidemiology training for public health professionals.
• Review and adapt the existing Field Epidemiology curriculum and training materials as may be required to suit the specific needs of the country.
• Ensure availability of all the required logistics for the didactics and field mentorship of selected participants.
• Participate in the training of supervisors and mentors to effectively coach FETP participants in the field to ensure attainment of the core competencies and skills
• Help to conduct the planned Intermediate and Frontline Field epidemiology training for surveillance officers.
• Provide mentorship, coaching and supervision for the trainees during the field placement periods to ensure acquisition of key field epidemiology skills and competencies.
• Provide technical assistance to trainees in preparing their presentations for local and national level dissemination of their key findings and recommendations from their field projects.
• Participate in disease surveillance, outbreak investigation and response activities in the Ministry of Health together with the trained surveillance officers to demonstrate best practices.
• Develop and maintain a system to monitor and document mentor activities and assessments of trainee field work; compile information on assessments of each field activity.
• Assist with the evaluation of the FETP program, mentors and participants.
• Implement and regularly update CDC’s ReDPeT system, a database to track activities and positions of all the Intermediate and Frontline FETP alumni in the country.
• Prepare regular and timely technical reports on the program implementation in the country for submission to CDC, AFENET, MoH and other partners.
• MSc. in Epidemiology/Biostatistics and/ or any other relevant qualifications from an Advanced Field Epidemiology Training Program in Africa.
• Bachelor’s degree in any of the following fields: Human Medicine, Nursing, Public/environmental Health, laboratory Science, Pharmacy, and Veterinary Medicine.
Experience and Skills
• At least 1-2 years of experience working in the field as a practicing field epidemiologist.
• Knowledge of WHO standards and policies such as the Integrated Disease
Surveillance and Response strategy (IDSR) and International Health Regulations.
• Experience in preparing and facilitating training for in – service public health workforce development initiatives in Africa preferably within an existing Intermediate and/or Advanced FETP.
• Experience implementing adult education strategies i.e. problem based participatory learning activities, role play, etc.
• Demonstrated proficiency in distillation, interpretation, and verification of unstructured scientific and popular data.
• Training and experience in public health emergency management and incident command will be an added advantage
• Proficiency in the use of the following software:
• Word Processing
• Power point
• Database (DHIS2)
• Statistical Packages: Epi Info, STATA, SPSS
• Ability to work collaboratively with multiple partners and teams at national and sub- national levels.
• Strong interpersonal, communication, leadership, collaborative and good listening skills
• Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
• Openness to new ideas and willingness to accept different opinions
• Patience and sense of humor
• Willingness to travel for extended periods of time within the country
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Submit your resume, application letter, and relevant Documentation to:
The Administration and HR Office Email: [email protected]
Only successful candidates shall be contacted for an interview.
Please note that all application should be sent online by close of business 5:30 pm (EAT) Friday February 12, 2021.
Note: More details about this position can be obtained from our website: http://www.afenet.net