Disability Inclusive Education Specialist
Jobs at:Plan International
Deadline of this Job:
17 April 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, April 12, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion, and discrimination. And its girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters, and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national, and global levels using our reach, experience, and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries. .
• Plan is seeking applicants for an Inclusive Education Specialist for an anticipated USAID-funded Education program in Rwanda. This program will support the result areas of the LEARN Project under the Homes and Communities Activity, with the purpose of improving literacy outcomes for all Rwandan children by the end of primary grade 3 (P3).
• The Inclusive Education Specialist will report to the Chief of Party.
• The Inclusive Education Specialist will serve as a liaison with the National Council of Persons with Disabilities to ensure alignment for interventions serving children with disabilities, provide communities and parents with skills to support children with disabilities, and leverage the inputs of local organizations and school communities.
• Work closely with the National Council of Persons with Disabilities and disability advocacy organizations to ensure alignment for interventions serving children with disabilities.
• Increase participation of children with disabilities in home and community reading interventions
• Develop parent, caregiver, and community literacy volunteer knowledge and skills to support children with disabilities
• Identify and build on existing strengths in communities, local systems, and organizations that may be used as leverage points to support children with disabilities’ learning at home and in communities
• Provide assistance to local organizations and school communities to support children with disabilities as they learn to read
• Support awareness-raising and behaviour change approaches to facilitate the rights of children with disabilities to access an education
Key Qualifications and Skills
• Master’s degree in International Education, Deaf Education, Special Education, Education, Education Policy and Planning, Educational Administration, International Development or related field required.
• Minimum of five (5) years of experience working in the area of disability inclusive development and disability inclusive education for learners with disabilities.
• Knowledge and experience in the design, implementation, and replication of approaches and interventions for improving education for learners with disabilities required.
• Work experience in Rwanda highly preferred
• Proficient English oral and written communication skills are essential
• Plan is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such qualified female candidates and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Please click on the link to apply.