Dairy Enterprise Technologist
Jobs at:Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA)
Deadline of this Job:
05 January 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA) is a unique and innovative English language undergraduate institution dedicated to preparing the next generation of agricultural leaders of Rwanda and Eas*t Africa. Students at RICA will engage in curricular and co-curricular learning opportunities emphasizing Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles, oral and written communication, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
In an experiential learning environment, students will develop the knowledge and experience necessary for a wide range of careers in agriculture. Students at RICA will experience the six Enterprises including Dairy, Poultry and Swine, Row and Forage Crops, Vegetable and Tree Crops, Irrigation and Mechanization, and Food Processing. Communication, One Health Systems Thinking, and Entrepreneurship are woven throughout the curriculum. All RICA graduates will be innovative problem solvers able to operate farms and ranches, start agribusinesses, assume management roles in cooperatives, NGOs, and other agricultural enterprises, serve their communities as extension agents and technical and policy experts or assume positions of agricultural leadership in Rwanda. .
We are seeking a Technologist for the Dairy Enterprise to support the Enterprise Lead in the technical management of a dairy enterprise, as well as in hands-on student training. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in practical farm operations within dairy farming systems. Forage production, feed, and nutrition, fertility, young stock, housing and manure, herd health, hygienic milk production, and marketing are the key management skills needed for this position. The candidate should be able to work independently and efficiently direct the activities of farm labor. He/ she must also show genuine interest in dairy farming. Candidates who have a passion for agricultural education and who are willing to actively engage with students in the learning environment by demonstrating technical skills will be prioritized. The responsibilities of the successful candidate are listed below.
• Produce safe and quality milk from healthy animals using good agricultural practices
• Optimize herd health and productivity on the Dairy Enterprise
• Ensure profitability and sustainability of the Dairy Enterprise
• Supervise and coordinate day-to-day operations of the Dairy Enterprise
• Properly manage the production resources used on the Dairy Enterprise
• Work with the Enterprise Lead and other academic staff in hands-on training of students in farm operations and farming practices
• Perform dairy enterprise key management operations including hygienic milk production and marketing, feed and nutrition, reproduction, young stock, housing, and manure, and health and welfare management operations
• Regularly inspect dairy facilities and equipment to ensure compliance with recommended standards, and to determine maintenance and repair requirements.
• Comply with health and safety policies and procedures of the Dairy Enterprise
• Assist in planning, development, and implementation of procedures and practices for operation of Dairy Enterprise
• Timely collect and organize detailed records of farm operations
• Support in design and implementation of research and extension projects planning
• Prepares enterprise activity reports for evaluation
• Report to the Enterprise Lead in technical management of the Dairy Enterprise
• Supervise dairy workers
• Assist RICA Farm Manager with farm operation activities outside the dairy enterprise as time permits.
• Any other relevant task that may be assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in animal sciences, livestock production, or other related fields, or 5+ years as a farm technician or manager.
• Proven experience with routine dairy farm enterprise operations and labor management
• Proven knowledge and hands-on experience in milk production and marketing, animal health, productivity, reproductivity, feed and nutrition, and waste management within a dairy farm enterprise
• Capable of running the Dairy Enterprise
• Able to operate and maintain milking machinery and milk storage equipment
• Ability to solve basic mathematical problems applied to dairy enterprise operations
• Capable of helping teach within the Dairy Enterprise
• Enthusiasm for experiential learning and team teaching and capable of managing students working within the Dairy Enterprise
• Advanced speaker of English
• Computer literate especially in Microsoft Word and Excel, and ready to learn other computer programs
• Hands-on experience of at least three (3) years in the dairy production
• Hands-on experience of at least three (3) years in the use of dairy equipment and machinery
• Commercial agricultural experience in dairy production and milking systems
• Proven field experience with Rwandan dairy farming systems
• Demonstrated relevant management and leadership experience
• Able to work independently with minimal supervision, but also participate as a team member in the accomplishment of assigned duties
• Strong ability to coordinate, prioritize a busy work and organize workload, take initiative and work under pressure to meet deadlines and targets
• Experience and ability to keep detailed records of farm activities and inventory related to dairy farm operations
• Enthusiasm and motivation to be part of a team working towards the RICA missions and goals
• Ability to adapt to a new context and learn new things
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Fill in the information required, upload, and submit the documents in English to the link provided below.
Please combine your resume/CV with your degree certificate as one PDF file before you upload.
Application Link https://rica.bamboohr.com/jobs/
Application review will begin January 5, 2021, and will continue until a successful candidate is identified.