15 Tree Nursery Managers
Jobs at:Albertine Rift Conservation Society (ARCOS)
Deadline of this Job:
13 November 2020
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Albertine Rift Conservation Society (ARCOS) was founded in 1995 with the mission “To enhance biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of natural resources through the promotion of collaborative conservation action for nature and people”. ARCOS is a registered charity and company limited by guarantee in the UK and has offices in Kampala (Uganda) and Kigali (Rwanda). In collaboration with Rwanda Forestry Authority (RFA), ARCOS is implementing a 20-years project on “Building Resilience to Climate Change and Sustainable Livelihoods in Rwanda’s Agro-systems (Agroforestry for Livelihoods Project)”, with support from the Livelihoods Funds. The project covers three landscapes in Rulindo District (Cyohoha, Muyanza and Yanze Landscapes) and one landscape of Bugesera District (Bugesera Landscape). It is in this framework that ARCOS is advertising the positions of Community Extensions Officer and Tree Nursery Managers. .
Main duties (Reporting to Community Extension Officer)
• To facilitate the farmers’ access to tree seedlings of different species including agroforestry, woodlots and fruit trees according to the project plan;
• The tree Nursery Manager will coordinate all tree nursery activities on a daily basis.
• To undertake effective delivery of tree nursery management activities in the assigned site according to the tree nursery development plan;
• To contribute to the development and implementation of the work plan of the tree nursery in reference to the project plan;
• To deliver monthly and quarterly technical reports timely;
• To determine optimal growing conditions (weather, topography, soil type, drainage etc.) that affect seedlings growth;
• To contribute to the recruitment of the employees of the tree nursery, training of farmers on tree nursery development and maintenance to ensure the sustainability of the project;
• To contribute to the selection of tree seeds to plant and grow depending on specific conditions of agricultural zone and objectives of the project;
• To monitor tree growth and report timely potential problems or threats to the health of the seedlings;
• To assist and support Community Extension Officer in community engagement, training and support as needed.
Job Skills: Not Specified
• At least A2 or equivalent in Forestry, Agriculture, Ecology, Natural Resource Management, or related field;
• At least two years of experience in tree nursery management, including grafting skills;
• Good skills in fruit tree grafting;
• Excellent personnel management skills;
• Good skills in reporting;
• Able to work with local community and local conditions;
• Very good communication and reporting skills;
• Able to speak Kinyarwanda, preferably with English or French; and
• Resident of Bugesera or Rulindo District would be an added advantage.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
If your background, experience, competences and skills match the above specifications, please send your application cover letter and CV inclusive of at least two professional references.
All applications should be submitted to Head of Finance and Administration (Email: [email protected] ), with a copy to the Senior Programme Manager (Email: [email protected] ).
Deadline for applications is 05.00 pm Kigali Time on November 13th, 2020. For further information, please visit ARCOS Network website at www.arcosnetwork.org. Collaboration and diversity are our strengths. ARCOS Network is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on the requirements above.
ARCOS Network reserves the right to withdraw the vacancy at any time for whatever reason. Correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates.