Global Impact Ventures Deputy Director
Jobs at:One Acre Fund
Deadline of this Job:
18 April 2020
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
One Acre Fund’s Impact Ventures Department aims to build ultra-scalable new channels and business models that can grow to serve more than half a million farmers in just a few years. We have a diverse portfolio of investments, from large government partnerships to short-term behaviour change campaigns, to rural retail shops, to tree seedling nurseries. What they share is a commitment to impact millions of farm families while maintaining operations that are cost-neutral or financially efficient, to reach as many people as possible.
We are looking for someone with a proven track record to help scale-up early-stage ventures and work in partnership with country and global teams to dream up new opportunities across One Acre Fund operations.
The role responsibilities will be adjusted to fit your experience and interests, but in general, will include the following: .
• Develop strategies to rapidly scale investments in your portfolio to reach hundreds of thousands of clients.
• For each project in your portfolio, you will manage 1-2 on the ground leaders who oversee the daily operations. Each of these leaders will likely lead a growing team. For early-stage investments, teams will likely include 10-30 people. Within a few years, many programs could have 100+ staff.
• Work with program leads to maintain field execution through building systems/tools to track and assess essential field performance indicators and flexibly working with several departments to tackle unexpected operational challenges
• Build 5-year strategies that improve our ability to hit scale targets, achieve stronger impact per farmer, and maintains program cost controls
• Help recruit senior program leaders
• Dream big and operationalize new ideas, whether enhancing existing pilots or contributing to country/organizational strategy in identifying new opportunities to pursue.
• Work with country leadership teams to build a business case including strategic rationale, financial projections, and connecting the case to farmer needs identified in the field.
• Co-develop the trial design with country teams including what to trial, how to trial, and at what scale.
• Hire and manage a pilot team directly to trial new ideas or acting as a strategic advisor to country teams if they take on ownership of trialing
• Lead organization-wide communications that share pilot insights
• Develop a global pipeline of Impact Ventures opportunities
• Develop relationships and coordinate with all partners who are relevant to our work. Partners could include One Acre Fund Country Directors, executives at social enterprises, and officials in government ministries.
Job Skills: Not Specified
• 5 to 7+ years of professional work experience with experience in leadership of teams and project management; entrepreneurial experience preferred (e.g. starting a new program or department).
• Experience leading a field-based team and implementing field tactics preferred
• An ability to gather and use different types of qualitative (e.g. farmer interviews) and quantitative (e.g. financial/impact modelling) information to guide major strategic and operational decisions
• Top-performing academic background
• An entrepreneurial mindset with a willingness to play different roles and the ability to add value quickly.
• Willingness to travel 35% of the time to rural areas – One Acre Fund operations are predominantly based in rural areas, close to our customers.
• Fluency in English required, knowledge of other languages spoken in One Acre Fund countries preferred
• Humility; a willingness to get your shoes muddy and work productively with people from all walks of life; ability to tackle any task, large or small, with enthusiasm
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
To apply please click here