USAID Soma Umenye is a five-year USAID-funded activity that aims to improve reading outcomes in Kinyarwanda for at least 1 million children in public and government-aided schools in Rwanda. Covering all 30 districts of Rwanda and working in close collaboration with the Rwanda Education Board (REB) and the Rwandan Ministry of Education (MINEDUC), Soma Umenye will contribute to Rwanda’s Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP) and the Government of Rwanda’s national development priority of ensuring that Rwandan primary-grade students acquire the fundamental competency of literacy so that they can succeed in future schooling and, later, in the modern workplace.
Soma Umenye aims to achieve the following two goals.
- To improve reading outcomes in Kinyarwanda for at least 1 million children (unique direct beneficiaries) in public and government-aided schools in Rwanda by the end of P3; and
- To ensure that at least 70 percent of P1-P3 students are able to read grade-level text with fluency and comprehension.
To achieve the above goals, it requires close collaboration with all education stakeholders under the technical leadership of MINEDUC and REB.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Support district and sector education officials to implement education reforms that support improved early grade reading outcomes and are in line with the government of Rwanda’s education reforms.
- Facilitate the sharing of challenges and successes among district advisors to promote project learning and among education sector officials within his/her district to promote sector learning.
- Monitor implementation of Soma Umenye-supported activities at the district and sector level, share monitoring data with a provincial advisor and coordinate with a provincial advisor and district-/sector-level education officials to take agreed-upon steps to address any deficits in implementation.
- Strengthen data-driven decision-making to enhance learner performance improvement at district and sector levels
- Coordinate closely with other donor-funded implementers (directly and through the Joint Action Development Forums) to ensure Some Umenye activities are complementary to other efforts and not duplicative.
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree in Education or related field
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience, preferably working in or with Rwanda’s education system
- Experience working with donor-funded projects preferred (ideally USAID projects)
- Experience promoting equity in learning outcomes among boys, girls, and children with special needs preferred;
- Demonstrated experience collecting and analyzing monitoring and evaluation data
- Demonstrated exemplary diplomatic, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Written and spoken proficiency in English and Kinyarwanda
Location of Assignment
The location of the assignment is in Ruhango district- Southern Province with intermittent travel throughout the country.
The District Advisor will report directly to the Provincial Advisor or his/her designee.
Expected Salary: Commensurate with salary history and experience.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here Closing Date : 3rd December, 2020.