Jobs at:Urwego Bank PLC
Deadline of this Job:
18 December 2020
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Urwego Bank Plc is dedicated to provide financial services to the people of Rwanda. Motivated by Jesus Christ’s call to serve those in need. Its mission is to achieve economic spiritual transformation in the lives of underserved, using financial services, and tested training as we share Jesus Christ’s love. Urwego Bank wishes to recruit (1) qualified, competent, committed, and proactive Compliance Manager to support the Risk and Compliance Department of Urwego Bank Plc Head Office.
Job Title: Compliance Manager
Department: Risk and Compliance
Reporting to: Director of Risk and Compliance
Directly supervises: Compliance Officer
Location: Kigali, Rwanda .
The Compliance Manager will be responsible for the implementation, execution, and monitoring of the risk and compliance framework at Urwego Bank Plc. Specific risk areas include financial, information security, regulatory compliance, and operational risk. S/he will manage the systems that identify, evaluate, mitigate and monitor operational and strategic risks, and co-ordinate with all departments within the bank by creating linkages between enterprise risk initiatives at both branch and Head Office levels. S/he will also oversee bank-wide compliance with policies and regulations
Promote and fulfil Urwego Bank’s 3Ms as listed above while working within a Christ-centered environment that is mission-driven, community-oriented, and results-driven. Spiritual Integration and Christian Witness
1. Ensure a personal, healthy spiritual balance within a family, work, and church life through the adoption of biblical personal and spiritual disciplines; and 2. Conduct daily work, make decisions, and help Urwego Bank make decisions in a way that witnesses to the presence, power, and love of Jesus and the reality of his Kingdom on earth.
• Ensure the Bank operates with integrity and in compliance with applicable laws including anti-money laundering and combatting financing terrorism law and regulations;
• Ensure that Risk Self-Assessment Tool (SAT) is updated to reflect current changes and risks are fully mitigated.
• Create SAT Checklist to prioritize risk categories to enable Compliance team to carry out “Show Me” approach to test controls functionality.
• Ensure effective monitoring of all Audit findings and Central Bank Off and On-Site Inspection recommendations including reports to appropriate authorities and implementation of recommendations within set timelines;
• Monitor control effectiveness in the business processes, comparing residual risks with target risks; design and implement risk reduction strategies
• Disseminate written policies and procedures related to compliance activities.
• File appropriate compliance reports with regulatory bodies.
• Evaluate testing procedures to meet the specifications of environmental monitoring programs.
• Prepare monthly and quarterly reports on compliance activities.
• Prepare annual Compliance plan in order to ensure they are concise and informative, effectively communicate the findings and recommendations to the branch/department, business leadership and Director of Risk and Compliance;
• Assist in preparation of Risk and Compliance report for the Executive Team and Board Risk and Compliance Committee as a backup for the Director of Risk and Compliance;
• Communicate immediately all incidents to the Director of Risk and Compliance;
• Assist in developing appropriate Risk Management methodology/procedures and tools;
• Create and sustain mutually beneficial relationships by ensuring business owners are not disappointed, and/or confused with high standard service;
• Willingness to take an extra-mile for the benefit of others and participate in staff related social activities;
• Coordinate work, activities, or departments, acting as the primary client liaison at the field, seeking advice where appropriate;
• Contributes positively to professional development and knowledge sharing in the department;
• Work closely with the entire Urwego team, backing up the Director of Risk and Compliance in absentia;
• All appropriate duties as may be assigned from time to time by Director of Risk and Compliance
• Christ-centered character, passion to serve underserved communities of Rwanda;
• Sound understanding of risk management and compliance concepts, measures, and regulatory frameworks.
• Detailed knowledge of the three lines of defense model, and regulatory expectations of risk governance in a bank.
• At least 10 years’ experience working in a bank, control, supervisory, or Risk and compliance role within a regulated financial institution. Prior experience 3 years in leadership role and managing a team.
• Strong PowerPoint and Excel skills.
• Strong analytical skills, and the ability to write clear and incisive briefing materials for management and other stakeholders.
• Excellent written and spoken English, and the ability to communicate and challenge effectively at all levels.
• Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to influence and effect change, in a second line of defense role.
• Eagerness and ability to learn about unfamiliar risk management and compliance areas, and to apply new concepts and tools in your work
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant subjects like economics, finance/accounting or risk management and compliance preferred
Personal skills and abilities
• Ability to consolidate, prepare and submit reports and correspondence on time
• Ability to deliver business goals and own performance targets.
• Ability to work as part of team to achieve departmental objectives
• Must be a quick thinker and able to work occasionally for extended hours
• Should be able to work with minimum supervision while delivering expected output.
• Your current performance trend over a period of one year in your present role will be a KEY factor in determining your suitability for the role.
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Interested and eligible applicants should send the following documents to [email protected] not later than 18th December 2020 5pm. Applications should be addressed to HR Department
• Application letter explaining your suitability for the position,
• Curriculum vitae with 2 referee names,
• Degree Certificate, and additional certificates if any.
• Recommendation from your Church with a validity of not less than 6 Months
• Your personal signed statement of Faith.
• Copy of ID
Only selected candidates will be contacted for the test.
Urwego Bank PLC