Host Entity- UNHCR
Duty Station- Kigali (RWA)
Language Skills- English, French
Start Date- 01 March 2021
Duration- 12 months with possibility of extension
Application Deadline- 27 December 2020
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
- Under the supervision of the UNHCR senior protection officer the candidate will work on development of Youth Engagement strategy for refugees in Rwanda, in line with the community-based protection principles.
- Take up the overall coordination of youth program in Rwanda. Advocate and facilitate youth engagement in national programs and strengthen cooperation with Ministry of Youth, MINEMA, NGO partners and the various UNHCR field offices and sectors. Work closely with the UNHCR Livelihood, Education and Public Information sections to strengthen capacities within the refugee youth groups through coaching, mentoring and on-the-job training and internships opportunities.
- Facilitate implementation of multi-year Sport for Protection projects. In cooperation with Education specialist, enhance and support Sport in Schools, including sport for girls.
- Facilitate youth access to educational opportunities, such as tertiary education programs, online learning and TVET programs and promote youth access to recreations activities such as music, dance, taekwondo, sports library etc This will be done through establishment of operational partnership with local and international actors .
- Further enhance cooperation with specialized partners to strengthen refugee Youth and Peace programs. Facilitate and coordinate refugee youth participation in national and international events.
- Overseeing youth program implemented by partners and work closely with Prison Fellowship, SCF and Plan International and others to ensure effective implementation of youth activities in all field operations.
- Advocate for additional resources including drafting proposals for various funding opportunities. Develop communication strategy and promote use of technology to enable refugee youth to reach out and establish linkages with all camps/locations, including use of social media and other innovative means
- Support the partners and refugees to make the best use of the community centers in Kigali and at the camps level. Facilitate procurement of necessary equipment and construction of playgrounds to support youth activities
- Update the mapping of the community groups in urban and at camps settings and encourage women’s participation in youth activities and youth networks.
- Coordination and support for evaluation exercise for various youth programs and general protection situation.
University Degree in International Development, Cultural Studies, Human Rights, International Social Work, Social Sciences, Political Sciences, Anthropology, International Law or other clearly related disciplines
Experience in youth programmes management, including drafting project proposals, coordination with partners, monitoring and reporting. Knowledge of UNHCR program management is important.
The candidate should have experience in working with UN and international agencies, ability to work in multi-cultural and stressful work environment.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- French(Optional), Level – Working Knowledge
The candidate should have good experience on community-based protection aspects, especially on communication with communities.
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup . Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile . Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 27 December 2020