Senior Environmental Engineer
Jobs at:World Bank
Deadline of this Job:
12 December 2020
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
This position will be based in Kigali, Rwanda and will focus on the environmental risk management, and environmental project management, analytical work and policy. Rwanda has very large infrastructure shortfall. As a result, the Bank has been investing heavily in infrastructure in the country. This requires staff in the Kigali Office to implement the Bank’s environmental risk management policies (including the Safeguard Policies and the new Environmental and Social Framework, or ESF). All World Bank-supported investment projects must meet ambitious environmental management standards. The Environment and Natural Resources Global Practice is responsible for providing technical support and oversight to all investment projects to meet these obligations. In addition, the World Bank has an increasing portfolio of environment related loans in Rwanda in the area for flood management and solid waste management which require the management of analytical work and policy advisory activities. While the primary responsibility of this position is on environmental risk management (at least 70 percent), there an expecation that the position would also include management and technical support of World Bank financed projects in the area of environment, such as flood management and soild waste management. .
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. Current Bank Group Staff members will be offered a 4 year assignment and the field assignment in Kigali will be for 4 years. External candidates will be offered a 3-year term appointment.
The Senior Environmental Engineer- will have the following key responsibilities: Environmental Risk Management
• Ensure the effective integration of environmental due diligence as defined by World Bank Group (WBG) Environmental and Social Management Framework, safeguards policies as well as international good practice documents (e.g. Equator Principles) into the design, appraisal and implementation of WBG supported projects (environmental lending portfolio and analytical work).
• Provide experienced advice to client and counterpart organizations, project teams and WBG management with regard to the preparation of environmental impact assessments, including regional, strategic and cumulative assessments; environmental management frameworks and plans, including plan for monitoring, reporting and evaluation; public consultation plans; and specific plans related to natural habitats conservation, natural resource management, pest management, forest management, dam safety and international waterways management; such advice will be based on a detailed analysis of baseline conditions, project scope and impacts, requirements from national legal and institutional frameworks and, and compliance with the WBG’s operational policies.
• Provide experienced mentorship to clients in the preparation of project cycle documentation including terms of reference (ToR) for environmental safeguard instruments, such as environmental and social assessments (incl. strategic, regional and cumulative); environmental and social management frameworks and plans, Pest Management Plan, and supervising their implementation. Contract specifications related to environmental safeguards and risks management, particularly for large dams and water projects. Provide technical training for the domestic EA practitioners on the WBG safeguard policies and requirements.
• Provide environmental input in project documents in accordance with the Bank operational policies including Project Concept Note (PCN), Integrated Safeguards Data Sheet (ISDS), Project Appraisal Document (PAD) and Decision/Negotiations Packages, and assist with handling timely and accurate disclosure procedures and public consultation requirements for all required environmental assessment and management instruments.
• Work closely with the Regional Safeguards Coordinators in the Africa region who are responsible for assigning safeguards tasks and ensuring the quality of the safeguards work and environmental risk management in the Region.
Project Operations and Analytical Work
• Participate in and/or lead natural resource or environmental management projects and the policy dialog with the government and other stakeholders on environment or natural resources. This includes coordination with other financiers, review of sector policies, strategies, and legislation. A particular focus will be to build a portfolio of environment projects in Rwanda, which could include waste management, flood management, forestry and land restoration, and protected areas management.
• Participate as team member or team leader in the development and/or supervision of implementation of environment or natural resources activities or components in projects, including participation in identification missions; seeking and developing opportunities to integrate sound environmental management and policies in investment project operations; maintaining dialog with the client and enhancing their capacity for understanding and compliance with on environmental policies; and contributing to mission outputs such as back to office reports (BTORs) and Aide Memoires.
• Facilitate and maintain effective communication with relevant communities of practice, including NGOs, academia, civil society, the private sector as well as specialized international organizations in line with the Bank’s Disclosure Policy and need to harmonize with clients and other international financial institutions in the region. In particular, active participation in communities of practice and global level technical innovation and knowledge sharing in the area of pollution management will be an important component of this position.
• Actively seek to learn World Bank Group procedures, and contribute to their improvement, by participating in training offered, by developing a personal training program, keeping abreast of research and development knowledge in the environment and natural resources sector, and relevant safeguard management process.
• Coordinate and carry out other tasks as requested by the relevant Manager such as for example, contribute to the organization of training or knowledge sharing events.
Job Qualifications: Not Specified
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
To apply please click here https://worldbankgroup.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=10098&site=1