Regional Director, People & Culture
Jobs at:Mastercard Foundation
Deadline of this Job:
23rd August 2019
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Mastercard Foundation is a global foundation based in Toronto, Canada with several offices in Africa. Our programs promote financial inclusion and advance education and learning in Africa, primarily for young people, and in Canada for Indigenous youth. The Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. From inception, the Foundation was designed to be a separate entity and independent from Mastercard. Our policies, operations, and funding decisions are made by our President and Board of Directors.
The Foundation believes that youth employment is key to unlocking prosperity, both for youth and their societies. Enabling young women and men from disadvantaged communities to secure dignified and fulfilling work will ensure inclusive development and economic growth in Africa.
Values are timeless, they transcend and rise above all. They guide everything we do, as employees of the Foundation. We share a common vision of a world where everyone has the opportunity to learn and prosper. We make mistakes, we reflect, and we grow so that we can impact our world – it’s why we are here. We are ambitious and driven. We encourage you to bring your bold ideas, curiosity, and expertise to your work. We laugh at ourselves and with each other. We are a team. Our journey together makes our impact even more meaningful.
THE WORK AT THE FOUNDATION
Agri-food and rural SMEs are often a critical link in the economic transformation of a country as they allow farmers to commercialize their activities and lift themselves out of subsistence farming. The majority of the population across Africa depend on the agricultural sector for livelihoods and employment and agri-food and rural SMEs can help to provide a route out of poverty for smallholder farmers and rural communities while spurring economic diversification, sustainable development, creation of jobs and trade.
To ensure that the Foundation leverages the great opportunity for youth employment that the agricultural sector offers, an Agriculture Technical Expertise Group has formed to provide technical expertise that supports the development of country strategies and programs. The Agriculture Technical Expertise Group supports the development of country strategies, provides technical support in the development of country-led programs, helps colleagues build a shared understanding of key issues and opportunities related to inclusive agricultural economies in Africa, and contributes to the Foundation’s learning agenda.
Africa remains a continent where most people, and a large majority of disadvantaged people, live in rural areas and rely on subsistence agriculture for their livelihoods. Under the Rural and Agricultural Finance (RAF) initiative, the Foundation has committed over $175 million in funding to programs that provide financial services to smallholder farmers, provides access to essential inputs, and strengthens their capability to apply tested farming practices to improve the productivity of their farms. The initiative supports MFIs, banks, agribusinesses, MNOs, investment funds, and technology companies to provide these services to farmers. As a learning institution, the Foundation continues to generate and disseminate evaluation analysis to guide its future programming under its new Young Africa Works strategy and to benefit the wider financial inclusion industry.
Mastercard Foundation is looking for a senior HR professional to serve as a strategic business partner, working directly with leaders and staff across the Continent. The focus is to provide hands-on operational HR support to regional and country teams while assessing the need for resources and HR capacity building going forward. To achieve your mandate, you will lead a team of HR professionals located in Toronto, Canada and in Africa, ensuring coherent and leading-edge practices, participating in the development of P&C and business-related initiatives and implementing them at a country and local level.
The successful candidate will be a strong HR Generalist with the demonstrated ability to build up an HR function, establish and nurture effective relationships and to oversee the full range of HR activities including talent acquisition, compensation, employee relations and change management. We are looking for an individual who is results-oriented, agile, creative and a team player to work in an environment characterized by expansion and growth..
• Establish a Human Resources function in Africa in close collaboration with the People & Culture Team
• Serve as an HR Business Partner working with executives and senior leaders to advance the goals of the organization from a People and Culture perspective
• Support a performance-driven culture with a focus on our human capital – talent management, coaching and mentoring, business partnering to enable and motivate teams
• Recommend, design and implement new approaches and initiatives to support Foundation objectives
• Ensure the continued development of great HR practices in line with business goals
• Partner with our Talent Acquisition team to help recruit, develop, retain and engage high potential and high performing team members
• Develop great relationships with our employees at all levels to support a high level of employee engagement
• Leverage your networks and experience to bring new ideas and best practice to the fore as we design the future
Job Skills: Not Specified
• Post Graduate degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or a related field and/or a combination of relevant experience and education
• 15+ years of progressive HR experience serving in strategically focused roles. Senior level experience as a Human Resources Business Partner is a must. Global experience is an asset.
• Minimum 7 years of experience leading and managing a team with the proven ability to motivate and energize others
• Extensive knowledge of employment legislation and best practices across Africa with a strong professional network. Good knowledge of immigration and relocation practices.
• Willingness to take initiative, “roll up one’s sleeves”, move with urgency, persistence and speed, and thrive in a fast-paced environment of high demand and change
• Able to navigate a complex organization in transition, bringing a flexible attitude and a growth mindset
• Able to bring creative new approaches and diverse solutions. Willing to take calculated risks to influence the adoption of fresh ideas and approaches
• Strong employee focus with superior collaboration and interpersonal skills
• Sound business acumen
• Well-developed analytical, conceptual and strategic-thinking skills
• Strong judgement, consulting, facilitation and negotiation skills
• Comfortable with all forms of technology
• Able to travel across Africa and internationally
• Fluent in French, both verbal and written, would be preferred
WHAT WE ARE OFFERING
• A values-driven organization with a compelling mission
• An opportunity to pursue your passion to have impact on the lives of others
• A chance to build a new People and Culture function on the Continent and make your mark as an HR professional
• Small collaborative teams where you can influence the direction of the organization
• Competitive compensation and benefits package
• Professional and personal learning opportunities supported by the Foundation.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Job application procedure
Follow the link below to apply https://boards.greenhouse.io/mastercardfoundation/jobs/4358207002