Jobs at:ActionAid Rwanda (AAR)
Deadline of this Job:
30 April 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Recruitment Of Actionaid Rwanda (Aar) Communications Coordinator
ActionAid Rwanda (AAR) is an Affiliate Member of ActionAid International (AAI) – an anti-poverty agency working with poor, voiceless people, communities, and similar-minded partners worldwide. ActionAid is a non-partisan, non-religious development organisation that has been working in Rwanda since 1982 to contribute towards eradication of poverty and injustices with a focus on tackling the root causes of poverty.
Currently, ActionAid Rwanda implements several activities in the areas of Agriculture, Education & Food security, Women’s Rights, and Poverty Eradication from 7 Local Right Programs (LRPs) including Nyanza, Gisagara, Ruheru, Murundi, Gitesi, Muko, and Shingiro LRPs.
The Communications Unit plays a key role in ensuring the visibility of AAR work and enhancing its brand. The Communications role is very vital to document and disseminate the achievements of the organisation to achieve visibility and build its brand.
AAR is seeking for applications from well qualified and self-motivated persons to fill the position of a Communications Coordinator.
Purpose Of The Job
• Communications Coordinator shall work under the direct supervision of Head of Programs and Policy, he/she will work harmoniously with the Program and Policy team to build a strong and credible profile, image, and reputation of AAR using effective, creative, and innovative communication tools. The Communication Coordinator’s work will support the program team to raise the profile and improve the visibility of the programs and partnerships of ActionAid Rwanda at local, national, and international levels and enhancing regular interaction, dialogue, and communication with the key stakeholders of AAR, including rights holders (women, children, youth and other people living in poverty) partners, AAR supporters.
• He /she will also ensure that the communication Strategy is updated, implemented, and monitored.
The Communications Coordinator shall report to the Head of Programs and Policy .
Expected tasks and deliverables
• Development, implementation, and monitoring of the AAR Communication Strategy and plans
• Takes a lead in the integration of communication, documentation, and information work in the AAR CSP, Annual Plans and Budgets, and Medium/long term plans and budgets
• Review the AAR’s Communication Strategy in consultation with Head of Programmes and Policy, SMT, and AA GS Media and Communications Team.
• Manages monitors and reviews the implementation of the AAR Communication Strategy.
• Capacity building and support of AAR partners, rights holders, and AAR staff in developing effective communication strategies and activities.
• Identification of partner, rights holders, and AAR staff capacity building needs in documentation, communication, and information work.
• Developing and implementing capacity building plans on documentation, communication, and information work.
• Training, mentoring, and coaching of AAR partner organizations and AAR Staff in developing and managing their own documentation and communication strategies and activities, including follow up support visits to partners.
• Defines Terms of Reference and identifies suitable resource persons/consultants for the different training workshops and other capacity building interventions on communication and information work in partnerships.
• Ensure that ActionAid Rwanda’s partners implement their activities in accordance with the contract and agreed plans.
• Documentation of AAR programmes, Management of Website/HIVE, and production of publications
• Management and regular updates of the AAR Website, Social media sites, and HIVE sites.
• Writing, editing, and supervision of the production and dissemination of AAR publications communication and information materials (e.g. newsletters, magazines, press statements, brochures, flyers, posters, videos, etc.)
• Development and dissemination of IEC materials that facilitate sensitization of right holders, communities, and other key stakeholders on relevant rights issues linked to CSP strategic objectives and key change promises.
• Compilation of Impact stories and testimonies from rights holders (Women, children, youths, and other people living in poverty), partners, and other stakeholders of the programme.
• Compilation of best practices/ success stories and case studies.
• Production of and dissemination of the AAR Annual Reports, Progress Reports, and Country Strategy Plan.
• Produces internal and external newsletters, press releases, AAR magazine, brochures, flyers, and posters. Also assists in the production of audio and video productions.
• Takes in lead in researches for compilation and storage of information in relation to program activities.
• Networking and representation of AAR
• Acts as Media Liaison person for the AAR Country Programme as directed by Management
• Identifies, facilitates, and maintains contacts and relationships with the local and global Media in order to build a strong public profile and visibility of AAR and its partnerships.
• Drafts press statements and organises press conferences in consultation with Country Director and/or Head of Programmes and Policy.
• Organizes and facilitates AAR’s public relations and marketing activities, including organisation of Exhibitions at relevant platforms (e.g. Agricultural shows, NGO Expo, Trade Fairs, Public Meetings, Civil Society Meetings, Donor Round Table meetings, etc.)
• Contributes to the development and implementation of AAR campaigns and advocacy work by mobilizing different Media and other key stakeholders and setting up effective communication platforms for different stakeholders of the programme in order to influence policy, attitudes, and behaviour changes at local, national, and regional/internal levels.
• Organising and co-facilitation of commemorations/anniversaries of International/Regional events at National, local, and partner levels (e.g. International Women’s Day, 16 Days of Gender Activism, World Food Day, Rural Women’s Days, Day of African Child, World AIDS day, International Human Rights Day etc.)
• Participates in relevant AAI federation wide meetings (e.g. Media and Communication Team meetings); Civil society networking meetings; relevant Media events; Press Conferences and Campaigns being organized by AAIR partners, Civil Society, and other likeminded organisations, including the UN and relevant government departments.
• Support on Fundraising and Sponsorship work of AAR
• Gives technical support to Sponsorship & Fundraising team in sponsorship communications activities
• Support Fundraising and Sponsorship and Programme Teams and AAR partners in writing and editing of Community Newsletters and production of Reports
• Contribute to the development of Concept Papers and Project Proposals linked to the Strategic objectives of the CSP
• Human Resources, Organisational effectiveness, and other duties as delegated by Management
• Participates in recruitment and selection of communications and other staff
• Co-facilitation of partnership assessments, appraisals, baselines, LRP, and National PRRPs
• Contributes to the organization of staff planning and review retreats and other internal meetings.
Under the supervision of the Head of programs and Policy the communication coordinator shall also work closely with the following teams:
• Programmes and Policy teams, Fundraising and Sponsorship Teams
• Country Director, SMT, CMT, and other AAR Staff
• Rights Holders, Partner Staff, Board members, and communities being served by the partners
• Resource Persons, Consultants and Facilitators appointed by AAR and partners
• Media and Communications Staff in other Federation members and AA Global Secretariat
• Local and external Media.
• Local authorities, Community leaders, Government Departments/Ministries, Parliamentarians, Politicians in areas or districts where AAR partners are operating and at National level.
• Other likeminded organizations including local and international NGOs and other civil society groups, UN, and donor agencies.
Required qualification and experience:
• A Bachelor’s degree gained from a recognised College or University i.e. either in Mass Communications, Media studies, and/or Journalism.
• At least 5 year’s practical experience working for and with different Media as journalist, communications, information, public relations, and/or marketing Coordinator.
• Other requirements and competences
• Strong command in oral and written English and Kinyarwanda as well as a working knowledge of French.
• High skills level in using different Computer software packages for producing various publications
• A flair for writing and finding the good stories.
• Experience working with new media/web will be an added advantage.
• Interpersonal communication skills and proven skills in teamwork.
• Ability and willingness to work with people of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified candidates should submit in filled application form through this https://rwanda.actionaid.org/jobs/2021/communications-coordinator send to [email protected] not later than 30th April 2021 at 5:00 pm Indicate in the subject line: Communications Coordinator.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.