Communications and Knowledge Management Officer
Jobs at:United Nations Development Programme -Rwanda
Deadline of this Job:
01 February 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace, and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women Rwanda has been working with the Government, UN Partners, Civil Society, the Private Sector, Development Partners, and other key partners to promote gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls in the country through its programmes.
The country focuses on three main priority/impact areas from UN Women Global Strategic Plan (2018-2021): namely women lead, participate in and benefit equally from governance systems (focusing on women's leadership and representation in local governance and in the private sector).
Women have equal economic opportunities and economic autonomy (focusing on agriculture, entrepreneurship, employment, and ICT) and Women and girls live a life free from violence .
Duties and Responsibilities
II. Functions and key results expected
Summary of Key Functions:
• Lead the formulation and implementation of the Communications and Advocacy Strategy;
• Support Programme and Operations staff on Communications;
• Coordinate the preparation of key global, regional, and nations events, including commemoration of key days such as the International Women’s Day and the 16Days of activism against Gender Based Violence;
• Lead the implementation of UN Women’s corporate campaigns such as HeForShe, Generation Equality and Step It Up Global Media Compact;
• Liaise with the United Nations Communications Group (UNCG) and the UN Women Regional and Headquarters Communications Team to feed national initiatives into corporate communications initiatives and vice versa.
The Communications and Knowledge Management will more specifically be expected to:
Provide substantive support to the planning and design of external communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans
• Integrate communication, advocacy, and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives, as necessary;
• Drafting and disseminating quarterly newsletters and media clippings to relevant partners;
• Organize or join field missions to collect materials for human interest stories (testimonies, photos, videos);
Coordinate and contribute substantively to the development and dissemination of advocacy materials
• Ensure timely production of quality communication products such as articles, photographs, and videos to support implementation of the CO’s communication strategy, regional and global campaigns, and resource mobilization;
• Ensure development of at least two human interest story per month for UN Women and ONE UN websites;
• Draft briefing materials, and press releases and coordinate its dissemination through effective channels;
• Draft and edit articles for websites, donor reports and other publications;
• Promote and disseminate corporate advocacy materials for launching initiatives, publications, and campaigns;
• Provide support in developing communication materials (i.e. social media graphics, infographics and presentations);
• Coordinate the translation/adaption/rewriting of information received, printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
Coordinate media relations for the Country Office
• Maintain list of relevant media and media persons. The list should cover disaggregated information by sex, geography, beats covered etc;
• Respond to inquiries for public and UN system information materials;
• Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences and briefing session for press, as required;
• Coordinate the Step It Up Media Compact in Rwanda;
• Draft talking points.
Manage the Country Office’s web/ online presence
• Manage CO’s social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy;
• Monitor and analyze print and social media and provide analysis to CO/RO/HQ.
Effective participation to the UNCG meetings and contribute to the efforts of Communicating as One and mainstreaming gender in the ONE UN communications
• Participate to UNCG Meetings
• Support the mainstreaming of gender in all activities of the UNCG
• Support the drafting of the One UN Communications Strategy as part of the Task Force
Documentation, Knowledge Building, Management, and Sharing
• Produce and disseminate communication materials for the Country Office including office brochure and thematic programme fact sheets;
• Develop and disseminate Country Office quarterly newsletter to relevant partners, as well as contribute to the UN Rwanda and Un Women Regional Newsletter;
• Conduct comprehensive media monitoring of UN Women’s work in the media and share stories on gender equality and women’s empowerment with programme staff to inform programming and partnerships;
• Coordinate and provide videography and photography documentation of all UN Women initiatives/activities and manage the country office Flickr account;
• Develop and maintain the country office repository system that contains all publications by the Country Office and IPs.
• Provide Information and Communications Technology Support as needed for country office business continuity purposes
• Lead the innovation portfolio for the Country Office and managed all the relevant networks relations with Regional Office, Headquarters, and other Country Offices on Innovation
• Synthesize lessons learned and best practices in ICT
• Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme goals and activities;
• Organize and conduct training and workshops on communication and advocacy, as appropriate.
• Contribute to the innovation portfolio of the Country Office.
Support the coordination of events and conferences and ensure the visibility of UN Women
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
• Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
• Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
• Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
• Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
• Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
• Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
• Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
• Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
• Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
• Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of the Programme unit including logistical support;
• Ability to provide input to business process re-engineering, elaboration, and implementation of new data management systems;
• Creates, edits, and presents information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality;
• Advanced knowledge of ICT and familiarity with relevant media software up to date with photography and videography
• Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
• Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
• Ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with Implementing Partners,
• Ability to manage data, documents, correspondences, and reports information and workflow.
• University Degree, in communication, international development/ relations, or any other related field.
• Masters’ degree in the above area would be considered an asset.
• A minimum of 4 years of relevant work experience with Bachelors` degree or 2 years’ experience with a Master`s degree including experience in media relations.
• Strong technological awareness and solid experience using a range of standard IT software;
• Demonstrated experience in the capture, development, communication, and effective use of information;
• Computer literacy, electronic networks, and software used for communication purposes (i.e. Websites, electronics bulletin, etc.);
• Good experience in generating web content;
• Demonstrated expertise in the field of gender, media, and public relations will be an asset;
• Excellent writing skills in preparing briefs, reports, guidelines, articles is an added value.
• Fluency in English is required
• Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
click here to apply