Climate-Smart Agriculture Associate
Jobs at:One Acre Fund
Deadline of this Job:
06 January 2021
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 7,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, our farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information. .
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for someone with 2 or more years of agroforestry, rural development, climate change, or rural extension experience in sub-Saharan Africa.
• One Acre Fund is committed to transforming our 1-million-farmer core program into a force against climate change. The Climate-Smart Agriculture Associate will identify, prototype, and scale behavior change interventions to improve farmer adoption of practices that enhance net agricultural carbon sequestration. As part of the Global Impact team, you will report to the Global Impact Lead.
• Improve climate-smart extension – You will develop and coordinate the implementation of (i) research tools to allow R&D teams to explore the causes for the adoption of carbon-sequestering practices, and (ii) processes to develop and test marketing and training to increase farmers´ climate-smart practices adoption.
• Behavior Change Research – You will develop research tools and protocols to ensure the carbon sequestration trial pipeline maximizes opportunities to understand and monitor farmer adoption/compliance with perennial farming systems (e.g. alley cropping) and soil carbon enhancing practices (e.g. residue retention).
• Barriers Analysis and Farming Systems Research – One Acre Fund's ability to promote carbon sequestration depends on understanding farmers' needs and constraints. You will refine tools to ensure R&D teams to characterize and understand farmers' livelihoods and farming systems, to produce insights on opportunities for improved interventions. This work includes surveys, barriers analysis, and participatory rural appraisal research.
• Support Compliance, Intervention Design, and Testing – You will provide support to multiple teams within One Acre Fund, support on innovation, intervention design, and testing. You provide rapid responses to urgent technical questions, desk research, strategy development, creation of decision-support tools for independent teams, design creative intervention prototypes, incentives, and ensure knowledge sharing across teams.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
• 2+ years experience with research on smallholder agriculture, with a farming systems emphasis and including work around climate-smart agriculture or agroforestry.
• 1+ years of experience with research and extension project design and management, including participatory methods, rural appraisal, human-centered design, surveys, and focus groups.
• A postgraduate degree in agriculture, climate change, rural development, or a related field is an advantage.
• Experience with rural extension services, prototype, and testing or marketing is an asset.
• You will be asked to have at least basic proficiency in statistical analysis, and comfort with Excel.
• Humility. We place a lot of value on open and frank feedback in order to grow as a team.
• A willingness to commit for at least two years. This is a long–term, career-track role.
• The role may require 25-50% travel for at least the first year (reduced over time)
• Language: English required; French or Kiswahili desirable.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
To apply please click here https://oneacrefund.org/work-with-us/job-openings/g/?gh_jid=2543981&gh_src=df80eef51us