TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. By linking people to information, capital and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities.
Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe has been named the #1 nonprofit for fighting poverty by the ImpactMatters charity ratings agency.
The Rwanda Ikawa Nziza Cyane (INC) project seeks to equip coffee washing stations (CWS), exporters, and government agencies with new tools, strategies, and policies to drive greater efficiencies and unlock new market opportunities in specialty coffee. Funded by the European Union in conjunction with Rwanda’s MINECOFIN, the Rwanda INC project will run for 4 years beginning in November, 2020. Some of the primary project components include (1) digital tools for CWS business management and farm extension monitoring; (2) new mechanisms for input financing and distribution (e.g., fertilizer, lime, new varieties); and (3) a strengthened coffee value chain through industry briefs, strategies, and proposed quality standards for uptake by government and exporters.
TechnoServe seeks a Business Advisor Operations and Sustainability to support the successful implementation of Rwanda INC’s ambitious impact agenda. This role will provide technical and advisory support to extension agents, CWS managers, exporters, and allies throughout the value chain to create value for farmers and coffee businesses, alike.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Engage farmers, CWS managers, and cooperative leadership in identifying challenges associated with farm inputs – particularly fertilizer, lime, and improved cultivars.
- Co-design and support the roll out of new input sales, financing, and distribution models.
- Work with financial institutions to help address challenges facing farmer credit for inputs.
- Work with coffee nursery partner to support production and commercialization of improved varieties.
- Lead needs assessments at CWS to determine environmental compliance gaps.
- Work with a wetlands engineering partner to design and lead the construction of vetiver grass wetlands at coffee washing stations to improve compliance with environmental standards.
- Support roll-out of digital tools for CWS seeking (1) enhanced extension services monitoring and management; and (2) improved business analytics for management and reporting.
- Support development, buy-in and roll-out of minimum quality and sustainability standards for Rwandan coffee. Work with CWS, exporters, training partners and relevant regulatory bodies to enable a system of audits.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture or a related field with strong business acumen.
- Minimum of 3 years field and technical experience with agribusiness development, ideally in training capacity.
- Experience in the coffee sector with expertise in coffee washing station operations.
- Strong project management and financial analysis skills.
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships.
- Technical skills required to do this job.
- Familiarity with coffee value chain actors (especially coffee washing stations)
- Comfortable translating data analysis into business insights
- Familiarity with ICT tools a plus
- Familiarity with plant nutritional needs
- Familiarity with environmental impacts of CWS and mitigation efforts
- Ability to generate innovative solutions in work situations that require minimal supervision.
- Strong networking skills
- Fluency in Kinyarwanda and English
- Ability to travel to remote rural locations.
- 100% Domestic
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- High integrity and honesty
- Flexible and able to maintain effective relationships and networks
- Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn
- Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts
- Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations, both verbally and in written communication
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills
- Results oriented
- Effective time management and planning
- Strong business acumen
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here Closing Date : 19th December, 2020.