Business advisor (m/f)
Deadline of this Job:
25th October 2019
Within Rwanda , Kigali , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Agriterra is the development and advisory organization of the agricultural sector in the Netherlands. It focuses on strengthening the position which cooperatives and farmers’ organizations in Africa, Asia, and Latin America occupy in the market, in the value chain and in consultations with governments. Agriterra uses peer-to-peer advice from the Dutch (cooperative) Agri & food sector. These Agriterra experts, named agripoolers, share their experience in and knowledge of production improvements, service provision, agricultural extension, cooperative entrepreneurship and advocacy with their peers in other countries.
Agriterra aims to be a specialist in the field of increasing the business performance of cooperatives and farmers’ organizations in developing countries. Its ambitions in terms of service provision, knowledge, efficiency and efficacy are sky-high. Cooperatives and farmers’ organizations in developing countries can count on becoming stronger by adopting Agriterra’s advice. This is based on the concept that a strong and well-organized agricultural sector is necessary to ensure rapid economic growth and a more equitable distribution of prosperity and democratic well-being.
Agriterra’s global annual turnover is approximately 15 million euros and the organization has over 150 employees, both in the Netherlands and abroad.
For our activities in Rwanda, we are looking for a
Business advisor (m/f)
This person will provide expert advice, coordinate advisory trajectories with clients, and have an advisory and broker role in the closing of business deals aimed at building well-organized and operational cooperatives and farmers’ organizations. In order to achieve this, the successful candidate will initiate and maintain a network that will include cooperatives and farmers’ organizations, financial institutions, traders, service providers and other stakeholders in the value chain. He/she will initiate and guide change trajectories with clients and will lobby, mediate and support business development processes, as well as facilitate the development of business deals. .
• Provide effective business advisory services to business-oriented farmer cooperatives.
• Assess the functioning of farmer cooperatives.
• Codesign action plans with cooperatives and follow-up on the implementation of these action plans.
• Facilitate Agriterra’s state-of-the-art cooperative training.
• Investigate opportunities to finance business plans of cooperatives, support the establishment of contacts and negotiate business agreements with banks, investors and other financiers (governments and the business sector).
• Help develop financially sustainable structures within cooperatives and farmers’ organizations to enhance their service provision and agricultural extension to their members.
• Provide clients with guidance relating to change trajectories, to promote the interests of farmers, associations and cooperatives, with the authorities of the relevant developing countries.
• Collect and systematize information about clients and advisory processes, such as financial reports and annual overviews.
• Build expertise in a specific area of interest (for example, governance or financial management) and/or on a specific subject or subject of current interest, with a focus on product development, in which he/she will act as the expert point of reference, both within and outside the organization.
• Extensive relevant practical knowledge and experience in the horticulture value chain.
• Extensive relevant practical knowledge and experience in the coffee value chain.
• Extensive relevant practical knowledge and experience in the sugar cane value chain.
• Practical knowledge and experience in the potato value chain.
• Extensive relevant practical knowledge and experience of farmer cooperatives, governance structures, financial management and business operations.
• Able to analyze financial statements.
• High level of proficiency in Kinyarwanda, English, and French.
• Enthusiastic, focused on results and service, and with adequate advisory or training skills.
• Master’s degree in Agriculture and Applied Economics, Management studies, specialized in Agribusiness or a similar field.
• Certified as MyCoop trainer for agricultural cooperatives.
• Certified as Youth participation trainer for young entrepreneurs/farmers in Agribusiness.
• Certified as Governance & Leadership trainer for agricultural cooperatives.
• Experience as a business advisor for business-oriented farmer cooperatives.
• Extensive experience and knowledge of one or more of the fields in which Agriterra achieves results, such as cooperative business development, market chain development, agricultural service provision, entrepreneurship, governance, and financial management.
Job Education Requirements: Master’s degree in Agriculture
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Job application procedure
Are you interested in this position and do you fit the profile?
Apply before October 25th 2019, with a cover letter and curriculum vitae, by sending a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, with reference number HIBA202002, for the attention of Mr. J.A.B. Spikker, country director of Agriterra Rwanda. If you require further information, you can also contact him by sending an email to email@example.com .
Acquisition to this vacancy will not be appreciated.
Cooperation is the strength of Agriterra!