We are Agriterra, a Dutch agri-agency that provides business development services to ambitious cooperatives and farmer organizations in developing and emerging economies. We assist them with advice and training by locally based business advisors and by deploying practitioners from the Dutch, and international farmer organizations and (cooperative) companies; the so-called Agripool experts. We apply a three-track approach: We make cooperatives bankable and create real farmer-led businesses, we improve extension services to farmer members, and we enhance farmer-government dialogues. Our advisory practice covers the full range of services on Management & Organisation, Financial Management, Governance, Business Development, and Lobby & Advocacy.
HortInvest is a horticultural value chain strengthening project that is funded by the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (EKN) in Rwanda. The project supports the overall objective of the Rwanda national horticultural policy in terms of fast economic growth and rapid reduction in poverty and malnutrition in Rwanda and focuses on the following northern-western districts: Muhanga, Karongi, Rutsiro, Rubavu, Nyabihu, and Ngororero. HortInvest aims to increase farmers’ incomes, grow the relative contribution of the horticultural sector to the economy of Rwanda, and improve the food and nutrition security of the households. It focuses on fruit and vegetable value chains for domestic, regional, and international markets. HortInvest is a consortium project led by SNV, the implementing consortium partners include Holland Greentech, IDH, Wageningen University & Research, and Agriterra.
Job opening for an agronomist
Currently, we are looking for an agronomist to join our Agriterra HortInvest team. He/she will be based in Kigali with regular travel to cooperatives in the aforementioned districts. Agriterra has a portfolio of 40 ambitious horticulture cooperatives that require frequent support, coaching and training on good agricultural practices and the agronomist will lead these activities.
The agronomist will be part of a team of professional business advisors and will have the following duties:
Proximity coaching of farmers on the application of good agricultural practices (GAP) and Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in horticulture production, including the following crops:
- Green beans
- Passion fruits
- Sweet pepper
- Snow peas
- Proximity coaching of farmers on the application of post-harvest handling practices in the horticulture value chain
- Introducing new and improved practices
- Preparing and managing plans for crop improvement and enhanced production
- Assisting with the crop selection process and the development of planting and irrigation schedules, budgets, and timelines
- Keeping detailed records regarding fields, customers, and crops
- Generating reports and presenting findings to colleagues, project partners, and clients
- Promoting products and techniques through educational presentations
- A0 in agronomy, soil science, or crop production with at least 2 years of working experience in a related field
- Knowledge of existing and innovative agronomic practices
- Demonstrable experience in the horticulture value chain
- A respectful and motivated attitude towards farmers and their organizations
- In-depth knowledge of soil and crop principles
- Proficient in MS office
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- High level of proficiency in Kinyarwanda and English
- Experience in working with agricultural cooperatives
- Able and willing to travel frequently to rural areas
- Strong research, decision making, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Organizational skills
Are you interested?
Are you interested in this position and do you fit the profile? Apply before 11 st December 2020 with a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and academic certificate in one PDF file, by sending an e-mail to [email protected] to the attention of Mr. Jasper Spikker, Agriterra Rwanda Country representative, with reference code 17AT-7373AG. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.